New royal gramma won’t eat pellets

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
On Monday I purchased a tiny royal gramma (about 1/2”). Today I began treating cupramine, which will be followed up by PraziPro, and maybe some metroplex. I’ve also been trying to feed the little guy some NLS hexshield, but he doesn’t seem to take to pellets very well. Any suggestions on training him to eat the food?

1fastfxr

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On July 25 I bought a royal gramma that was/is about the same size. He didn't eat pellets at first either. I was forced to feed him strictly frozen food and chop it up really fine. Eventually, he would go after pellets then spit them out. I I started to soak the pellets in Selcon and know he eats them regularly. Also, I use new life spectrum small pellets. Not sure if that matters or not. Best of luck to you and him.

OP
OP
Sharkbait19

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On July 25 I bought a royal gramma that was/is about the same size. He didn't eat pellets at first either. I was forced to feed him strictly frozen food and chop it up really fine. Eventually, he would go after pellets then spit them out. I I started to soak the pellets in Selcon and know he eats them regularly. Also, I use new life spectrum small pellets. Not sure if that matters or not. Best of luck to you and him.
Thanks! I’ll probably have to start feeding him frozen as well. Hopefully he will eventually take to the pellets. The best I got was him going after the pellets, chewing, then spitting them right back out. I also use the small pellets. Maybe I’ll have to crush them up like I did with one of my tiny clowns.

Gup

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! I’ll probably have to start feeding him frozen as well. Hopefully he will eventually take to the pellets. The best I got was him going after the pellets, chewing, then spitting them right back out. I also use the small pellets. Maybe I’ll have to crush them up like I did with one of my tiny clowns.
Decades ago, I'd learned about pellets. No matter what the fish, unless it's a Longnose butterfly or seahorse which will never eat pellets. Even midsize fish we'll take a small pellet and continue to spit it out in the attempt to break it down to a size that will get thru their gullet

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same problem with mine. Have you tried Sustainable Diet Hatchery pellets? They are smaller. You might get some live brine or mysis shrimp. Or try frozen too. I have used a pill crusher with PE Mysis pellets so they are small enough for my new Vanderbilt Chromis.

KeepSwimming12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,
On Monday I purchased a tiny royal gramma (about 1/2”). Today I began treating cupramine, which will be followed up by PraziPro, and maybe some metroplex. I’ve also been trying to feed the little guy some NLS hexshield, but he doesn’t seem to take to pellets very well. Any suggestions on training him to eat the food?
I bought a royal gramma and had the same problem. Maybe it had to do with the fact he was tiny or maybe he just didn’t like it nonetheless. He didn’t like pellets and would rarely go after mysis. He absolutely loves cyclopods so maybe try those. I hope mine will eat mysis soon.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Garlic Guard better than using some of the fluid from bottled garlic from the grocery?
I've only used Garlic Guard, so I couldn't say. But I use it daily and have been for the past year and a half. There's a minor health/immune benefit in using it, along with a drop or two of AF Fish V for vitamins, etc.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 38 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 23.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.3%
Back