New setup, a couple questions I am unsure of. Tried to Google, mixed results.

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Setting up a new (used, marketplace) reef tank, 75 gallons, have a couple questions that I tried to Google with mixed results on if these things are OK or not.

First, the sump is a DIY. It's a 30 gallon breeder with ebay baffles. There is a small leak between the refugium and pump compartments, it's about 1 drip per second towards the bottom, I noticed as I am filling this tank for the first time, I probably should have water tested the DIY baffles before plumbing and putting everything together, but I didn't so it is what it is, tiny drip. Does this matter? I do have an ATO so I don't expect the water line to ever really be low enough for this to matter, or for the fuge compartment to be lower than it should....

Second, can a heater touch sand? I'm going to run 2x glass heaters on an Inkbird thermostat. Can I just throw the heaters into the fuge without suctioning them to the wall, or is there a better way to do that?

Third question I guess, I'm filling the tank with RODI right now, and I dumped a bunch of salt in the tank with pumps running as it's way easier to do it like that than it is to fill buckets and mix and then fill the tank. The tank is a little cloudy, likely from the salt, I don't remember my other tank being cloudy at all, does it just need to mix more or is it just going to be like that?

Thanks in advance for any info..

Steve

lucyretz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,

Your first question regarding the slow leak, I think its going to truly depend where it is and if the leak is going to cause the baffle to eventually blow out on that side. What worries me is if the baffle blows out, itll let sand and cheato/macro algae get sucked up into your return and that can cause a massive, massive headache. This truly is a matter of opinion, if you think the baffle is otherwise solid and only going to remain a slow drip then it may not cause you to much trouble. but if you arent sure, its probably better to go ahead and re-silicone the baffle in place.

A heater touching the sand shouldnt matter. but if possible its probably better left in your return section. mine isnt sunctioned cupped to the side, its simply just laying on the floor of the sump in my skimmer section.

I hope this helps a bit! good luck with the new set up and happy reefing!

OP
OP
A

averagesteve

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Steve,

Your first question regarding the slow leak, I think its going to truly depend where it is and if the leak is going to cause the baffle to eventually blow out on that side. What worries me is if the baffle blows out, itll let sand and cheato/macro algae get sucked up into your return and that can cause a massive, massive headache. This truly is a matter of opinion, if you think the baffle is otherwise solid and only going to remain a slow drip then it may not cause you to much trouble. but if you arent sure, its probably better to go ahead and re-silicone the baffle in place.

A heater touching the sand shouldnt matter. but if possible its probably better left in your return section. mine isnt sunctioned cupped to the side, its simply just laying on the floor of the sump in my skimmer section.

I hope this helps a bit! good luck with the new set up and happy reefing!
Thank you! I will move the heaters to the skimmer section.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 80 38.5%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.5%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back