New Setup- was going to Red Sea Reefer- Want reefmat roller but not Red Sea Tank,,Cade? WB INfinia, Custom?

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, this is a probable controversial post for my 2nd all time. I had a Red Sea Reefer 425XL G2 on order I just canceled/postponed as my buddy had a small disaster after I ordered. His 300XL (I am almost positive newer this spring G2 but not sure) started a leak in the lower front glass. He's dealing with it and I think Red Sea is covering.
My backstory- I am not new to reefing but its been a while (7 yrs). After my time away I decided to get back in and "do it right", by once cry once. After tons of research and debate I decided to go with the newer Red Sea hoping their issues were in the past and really wanting to base my sump around the new rollermat. I am going back to the drawing board and willing to spend more $$ so I dont lay awake at night wondering about my tank. I am looking at the Cade 900S2 and Waterbox Infinia series or maybe the WB Reef DX line- any suggestions? I see these as all solid options. OR- Just stay with Red Sea line (G2)
My big question is - would either of these options be easier to incorporate the Reefmat or should I look into a Planet Aquarium/IM 100EXT and build a custom sump (I dont really want to plumb it- just want to buy LOL). OR- Do I forget the Reefmat and go with a Trigger and their roller? Im rambling....

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New G2s just came out this summer so likely a 1st version or a factory defect.
I will add that Red Sea has great customer service from what I have experienced and read. There are some great custom guys on here which I am sure someone will tag in soon as well

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Take a look at Innovative Marine ....they have some amazing deals and you don't hear any complaints about them leaking unlike Red Sea. This is coming from a Red Sea Reefer owner myself.

I don't have any issues with my Red Sea but I worry all the same.

The Reefmat is another story tho. It is amazing piece of device.

OP
OP
swampcruiser

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, any other insights? It's looking like an IM 75EXT with a 29 gal sump and cheap baffles. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a Cade for the cost and I just dont like the WB sump set ups for rollers. My last reefkeeping experience was a bad relationship with filter sock washing and therefore nitrates- am I over valuing a Reefmat?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, any other insights? It's looking like an IM 75EXT with a 29 gal sump and cheap baffles. I just cant bring myself to pull the trigger on a Cade for the cost and I just dont like the WB sump set ups for rollers. My last reefkeeping experience was a bad relationship with filter sock washing and therefore nitrates- am I over valuing a Reefmat?
It depends how much you "enjoy" cleaning filter socks, or if you are actually going to do it as needed. Personally, I don't want to have to empty and clean detritus filled socks every few days so I went with the ReefMat.

Based on your input that you had a bad relationship with sock washing I would highly recommend a fleece roller.

I have a Reefer 250 G2 so the plug and play installation made it a no-brainer for me.

OP
OP
swampcruiser

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input- I want so badly to order a G2 version and be done- my buddies tank was the old. I really wish I could see one in person but thats not possible- do you feel the stand (plywood) and seam issue is fixed or substantially better?

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the input- I want so badly to order a G2 version and be done- my buddies tank was the old. I really wish I could see one in person but thats not possible- do you feel the stand (plywood) and seam issue is fixed or substantially better?
I never owned a G1. My current 250 G2 is my first experience with RedSea, so I can't really answer that question. That being said, the G2s have substantial improvements vs the G1. Thicker glass, fortified plywood, massively improved gate valve, etc..

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade seems to be best of any of these companies. My second choice would be IM.

Not a fan of how Red Sea was deleting posts and sort of covering stuff up.

Anywho I would just go the route of IM with a custom sump if you want that roller mat. Get exactly what you want… don’t settle. Plumbing something is a one time thing for something that should last you years and years. Heck, 10-15 years or such even.

Last edited:

BetterJake

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cade seems to be best of any of these companies. My second choice would be IM.

Not a fan of how Red Sea was deleting posts and sort of covering stuff up.

Anywho I would just go the route of IM with a custom sump if you want that roller mat. Get exactly what you want… don’t settle. Plumbing something is a one time thing for something that should last you years and years. Heck, 10-15 years or such even.
100%. And if upgrading and spending a bit more on a cade or IM gives you peace of mind as well, that's money well spent.

RealFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been in the hobby on and off for 35 years. Started a tank about a year ago and moved it to larger tank a couple months ago. I spent $1000 on a Trigger sump and I really wish I would have just bought a 40 gallon breeder, some baffles off ebay and the Reefmat. I could then put everything where I wanted/needed it to be. The Trigger sump works fine and has a lot of features, but nothing I couldn't do.

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a custom sump. It's not more or less expensive than something like a Platinum Trigger System, and like you said, buy once cry once.

I was going for the platinum trigger system, but I'm now building a custom with luna-reef.com. I've given them all the dimensions, full list of equipment, a to-scale drawing, and they're going to put it together and make sure all the equipment will fit (they even have ReefMat 500 and 1200 on hand to make sure it fits).

I've had a Reefer 170 for 5+ years, and it has had no issues (other than the drain valve is kind of not consistent, but easily fixed with a gate valve). I believe the new G2 will do well for you as well.

I went with an ELOS, but I don't know if I would recommend them for the price. In my opinion on the quality and customer support, they're overpriced, but they are nice. The WaterBox Infinia series looks good, except their cabinets are stainless steel (what the heck). Cade is nice, but everyone I know who got a Cade have had to do a lot of modifications to the stand to get it to work with the equipment. I think it's designed a bit too opinionatedly, so it's hard to customize if you don't go with exactly what they designed.

TL;DR
1. Get a custom sump to fit what you want, so you're not picking tanks based on sump
2. Waterbox Infinia is great looking, except cabinet choice is awful
3. Cade is good, even has white cabinets now, but very opinionated in the cabinet so harder to get to work

OP
OP
swampcruiser

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great advice- thanks all! With any luck there will be a new build thread in the future. I have the means to "do it right" this time vs years ago when I hodge podged it all together and then fought "the uglies" from nutrient issues and poor lighting.

chrisriker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just get a custom sump. It's not more or less expensive than something like a Platinum Trigger System, and like you said, buy once cry once.

I was going for the platinum trigger system, but I'm now building a custom with luna-reef.com. I've given them all the dimensions, full list of equipment, a to-scale drawing, and they're going to put it together and make sure all the equipment will fit (they even have ReefMat 500 and 1200 on hand to make sure it fits).

I've had a Reefer 170 for 5+ years, and it has had no issues (other than the drain valve is kind of not consistent, but easily fixed with a gate valve). I believe the new G2 will do well for you as well.

I went with an ELOS, but I don't know if I would recommend them for the price. In my opinion on the quality and customer support, they're overpriced, but they are nice. The WaterBox Infinia series looks good, except their cabinets are stainless steel (what the heck). Cade is nice, but everyone I know who got a Cade have had to do a lot of modifications to the stand to get it to work with the equipment. I think it's designed a bit too opinionatedly, so it's hard to customize if you don't go with exactly what they designed.

TL;DR
1. Get a custom sump to fit what you want, so you're not picking tanks based on sump
2. Waterbox Infinia is great looking, except cabinet choice is awful
3. Cade is good, even has white cabinets now, but very opinionated in the cabinet so harder to get to work
Curious to know why you feel the Infinia cabinet choice is awful? I feel like a 100% aluminum cabinet is a positive, not a negative?

Last edited:
OP
OP
swampcruiser

swampcruiser

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife agrees as well LOL. We aren’t doing black and the silver Infinia stand looks like a garage storage unit according to her. I still havent bit the bullet. I am going to by Tuesday and I am leaning heavily to the WB Frag. I want a CADE in the worst way but they are too tall and the frag is too short for my taste at 13.5”.
The worst part is that there isn’t a LFS anywhere near here that sells much for aquariums anymore except aqueon and that type of stuff. I have to do it all sight unseen.

chrisriker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife agrees as well LOL. We aren’t doing black and the silver Infinia stand looks like a garage storage unit according to her. I still havent bit the bullet. I am going to by Tuesday and I am leaning heavily to the WB Frag. I want a CADE in the worst way but they are too tall and the frag is too short for my taste at 13.5”.
The worst part is that there isn’t a LFS anywhere near here that sells much for aquariums anymore except aqueon and that type of stuff. I have to do it all sight unseen.
Same boat here more or less except one LFS near me carries waterbox and Red Sea, but nobody has a cade or an IM I can see in person, so the decision is hard.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered a planet aquariums 230 gallon. Also got a bashsea pro series that's designed for roller mats. Tank and sump wont be delivered till the end of the year. But here's a link to the sump.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back