New shy blue tang in qt advice

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone a few weeks back I posted about my in diagnosed dory. Know one could figure out what was wrong. I made a huge mistake and had done a fresh water dip and formalin bath. Which killed her hours after. I was so sad and I was ashamed. Also I didn’t want my daughter to know. So being a crazy dad I tried again and got a new blue tang before my daughter found out. Going forward. She’s healthy. Looks great loves her qt tank setup with all the live rock. However she’s so shy. She always hides when I’m around. I actually setup a Wyze came so I can watch her in the tank. Any advise to help to get her to trust me? Food is selcon enhanced salmon scallops shrimp and clam. With snacks of roe pellets brine and flakes. This fish also came shipped over night which is insane as it is. I’ve had her no for a week.

N3mo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Overtime she will get used to you, a new environment and the movement will send her into hiding. Mine took about 3 weeks before it was totally comfortable to come out infront of me. Now it will eat nori out of my hand.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other problem is this tang I give nori doesn’t touch. Roe nothing. It seems to now want to eat. Even my home made salmon shrimp clam and scallops comes out. Snoops around I haven’t seen this fish eat. I flood the tank with mysis and brine anything I can. I’m not sure what to do. There’s an anthias in this qt with it. Eating fine

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone a few weeks back I posted about my in diagnosed dory. Know one could figure out what was wrong. I made a huge mistake and had done a fresh water dip and formalin bath. Which killed her hours after. I was so sad and I was ashamed. Also I didn’t want my daughter to know. So being a crazy dad I tried again and got a new blue tang before my daughter found out. Going forward. She’s healthy. Looks great loves her qt tank setup with all the live rock. However she’s so shy. She always hides when I’m around. I actually setup a Wyze came so I can watch her in the tank. Any advise to help to get her to trust me? Food is selcon enhanced salmon scallops shrimp and clam. With snacks of roe pellets brine and flakes. This fish also came shipped over night which is insane as it is. I’ve had her no for a week.
I have a 5 year old blue tang in my 300 gallon and I barely ever see it. Always hides in the rocks will only come out if I broadcast feed the tank no he comes out to eat and then right back to the rocks

swiss2

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give it time. I have had fish take weeks to warm up to me. Here is trick I use, I have a neon green cup that I use to feed mysis. After a while the fish all associate the green cup with feeding time. Even the shyest fish will come out for feeding. Time and patience is key. As long as it’s eating and looks healthy you should be ok.

OP
OP
Rickybobby

Rickybobby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if she’s eating right but every food that you can think of I offer. I will keep doing my best

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im shocked its eating any of those- fish eggs, I can see. Shy they are. Took mine almost a year to fully stay out.

LRS Herbivore diet
mysis shrimp
spirulina brine shrimp
small plankton
Hikari mega veggie diet

marin8n

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are the most finicky and oddly behaved fish in QT. Mine never did act right, played dead, was a picky eater, etc. A piece of live rock might help if you can sacrifice one. As soon as mine went into the DT he started acting "normal" (for a blue tang).

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I knew you had killed my sister, I would be afraid of you too lol... jk

She will eventually get used to the new home and come out more.. but it may take a while. Years ago when I had one of those, it hid every time it saw movement in the room. It never did get fully comfortable.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back