blackbird4525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A931693-6F78-47CE-84F9-AE530974B393.jpeg
CE306732-FC96-4037-BAB9-40E738A63EB1.jpeg
3E9ECD22-C783-4539-B985-9A9822AC35F0.jpeg

Hi! I’m super new to the reefing hobby and on Monday I added two new clownfish to a newly cycled tank. I acclimated the fish to the water and temp before placing them in and they seemed to be doing fine their first night. The larger of the two began to rapid decline over the past day and died this morning. I have attached pictures of his progression. It initial looked like it had gotten scrapped on some rocks on Tuesday so I wasn’t too worried, but by this morning ( Wednesday) the fish had these large white patches on it, and sadly they passed away later today. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, and I don’t want the other fish to die. Water temp 77F, pH 8, ammonia nitrates and nitrites are all 0. Everything has been consistent since Monday. The smaller fish is doing fine (eating and swimming around like the first day) but then I began to notice a white spot on one of his fins this morning. Any advice is greatly appreciated!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don’t see the typical signs of brooklynella which would have been fast anyway.
What it appears to be is bacterial in which raw tissue is present.
a freshwater dip for 5 mins in tap water the same temperature as display tank will offer a cleanse
You want to get this fish treated asap
In quarantine- Maracyn 2 will work
If quarantine is not possible- ruby rally pro is reef safe but will take a little longer
I prefer quarantine method for effectiveness

OP
OP
B

blackbird4525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t see the typical signs of brooklynella which would have been fast anyway.
What it appears to be is bacterial in which raw tissue is present.
a freshwater dip for 5 mins in tap water the same temperature as display tank will offer a cleanse
You want to get this fish treated asap
In quarantine- Maracyn 2 will work
If quarantine is not possible- ruby rally pro is reef safe but will take a little longer
I prefer quarantine method for effectiveness
Thank you! How long will the fish need to be in a quarantine tank if the only fish alive has no symptoms besides a small white spot? Until that clears? And should I do anything to the main tank if I use a quarantine tank?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! How long will the fish need to be in a quarantine tank if the only fish alive has no symptoms besides a small white spot? Until that clears? And should I do anything to the main tank if I use a quarantine tank?
Here is a good place to start for information.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
General rule - 21 days but after day 14 of Zero symptoms, should be good

OP
OP
B

blackbird4525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is a good place to start for information.
Thank you!!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
4A931693-6F78-47CE-84F9-AE530974B393.jpeg
CE306732-FC96-4037-BAB9-40E738A63EB1.jpeg
3E9ECD22-C783-4539-B985-9A9822AC35F0.jpeg

Hi! I’m super new to the reefing hobby and on Monday I added two new clownfish to a newly cycled tank. I acclimated the fish to the water and temp before placing them in and they seemed to be doing fine their first night. The larger of the two began to rapid decline over the past day and died this morning. I have attached pictures of his progression. It initial looked like it had gotten scrapped on some rocks on Tuesday so I wasn’t too worried, but by this morning ( Wednesday) the fish had these large white patches on it, and sadly they passed away later today. I am not sure what I am doing wrong, and I don’t want the other fish to die. Water temp 77F, pH 8, ammonia nitrates and nitrites are all 0. Everything has been consistent since Monday. The smaller fish is doing fine (eating and swimming around like the first day) but then I began to notice a white spot on one of his fins this morning. Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Actually, this looks like Brooklynella to me. Can’t say for certain without a microscope. Have you contacted the pet store to ask if they are having similar issues with their fish?

Jay

OP
OP
B

blackbird4525

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Actually, this looks like Brooklynella to me. Can’t say for certain without a microscope. Have you contacted the pet store to ask if they are having similar issues with their fish?

Jay
I did contact the fish store and they didn’t report have other fish with this recently. They also didn’t think time wise it fit brooklynella. I’m monitoring the other fish closely in a quarantine tank, and so far it is doing well. It no longer has any odd white spots on it at all.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 95 88.0%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back