New skimmer filling my tank with bubbles

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up my Coralife v2 Skimmer in the first chamber of my Biocube 32 about 3 days ago. It has just stopped over flowing the collection cup with bubbles finally but it’s filling the tank with bubbles still...like a lot. Is this the normal break-in period of a new skimmer?

image.jpg

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank, it looks new w/o any livestock... if so I'd just keep the skimmer off since there's probably no organic nutrient for the skimmer to remove resulting in just air bubbles. Also, if possible u can add a foam pad after the skimmer section as bubble trap to prevent them from entering the DT.

Mike N

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Super Fly, hold off on using the skimmer until you have the bioload that necessitates one.
It could zero out your phos/nitrate and cause dino issues. You don't want that.

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how old is the tank, it looks new w/o any livestock... if so I'd just keep the skimmer off since there's probably no organic nutrient for the skimmer to remove resulting in just air bubbles. Also, if possible u can add a foam pad after the skimmer section as bubble trap to prevent them from entering the DT.
Ohh ok that makes a lot of sense the tank is a little over a month old and the fish are still in QT I’ll go ahead and turn it off.

legrunt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or... are you able to run it without air for the time being? I think if the skimmer is brand new, you will need some time for manufacturing oils to wash off and a bio film to establish... I'd think of it as "cycling" a filter...

codycolina707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I just set up my Coralife v2 Skimmer in the first chamber of my Biocube 32 about 3 days ago. It has just stopped over flowing the collection cup with bubbles finally but it’s filling the tank with bubbles still...like a lot. Is this the normal break-in period of a new skimmer?

image.jpg
its gotta break in too i ran a skimmer on a fairly new tank with same results took about 10-12 days before they went away and i could turn the skimmer past 0

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So should I run it in like a bucket full of saltwater that I’ll use for my water change the next week to break it in?

Super Fly

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if it was me, I'd just leave it off and break it in after few weeks of adding livestock into tank. This way it gives tank time to establish beneficial bacteria in the beginning. It's not a rush to run a skimmer in the very beginning unless u plan to add tons of livestock immediately (which I don't recommend), besides its possible to have successful tanks w/o skimmer.

TerryLowe

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this thread is getting old. But did your bubble issue ever calm down after your tank aged a bit?

OP
OP
Fishbro

Fishbro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i actually got a new tank with a better skimmer, but those micro bubbles never went away. I just don’t like small skimmers now personally I just don’t think they work.

Labora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a skimmer on a nano tank and hated it because of the microbibles and adjusting. It did skim out the malachite green so that was pretty impressive.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 42.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 31.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.1%
Back