New Snail Type Thingamabobber

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys popped up a couple weeks ago. They almost look like baby snails, but they hang out above the water line. I have some astrea and certiths. This doesn't look like either of those. Super tiny maybe like have a pinky nail and I have probably 5 or so in the sump area and I put this guy in the display to see what he would do and he climbed out of the water. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
tempImageg39WvK.jpg

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a type of "false limpet." They look very similar to typical true limpets but are a tidal species. If so, they don't breathe underwater and are likely up there waiting for the next high tide.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could have a type of "false limpet." They look very similar to typical true limpets but are a tidal species. If so, they don't breathe underwater and are likely up there waiting for the next high tide.
They are going to be waiting a long time haha. Any links to something like that?

Isopod80

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any links but I can say that most false limpets from U.S. waters tend to have some degree of brown /dark patterning on the shell. If your limpet is solid white then it's probably one of the little keyhole types found in many reef tanks. Those are true limpets. Not sure why they'd be hanging out of the water. Are your parameters ok?

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have any links but I can say that most false limpets from U.S. waters tend to have some degree of brown /dark patterning on the shell. If your limpet is solid white then it's probably one of the little keyhole types found in many reef tanks. Those are true limpets. Not sure why they'd be hanging out of the water. Are your parameters ok?
As far as I know. Everything is the tank is happy. Just noticed these limpets showing up and hanging above the water line. Thus, my original question of what the heck are these guys. I think it's super weird I have never seen them in the water.

tnw50cal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at them after lights out- that's when the "white" keyhole limpets I have come out in force. During the day they hide in the rocks and you'd never know I have them.

OP
OP
chrisjj625

chrisjj625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can look up Siphonariidae
False limpet. They will eat algae growing on water lines.
Thanks! That could be it, but it doesn't scream identical. I guess I will just have to wait and see what they do. They must be breeding because I keep seeing more, but they are so tiny.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
There's a lot of different species. So, looks won't always be the same. I just didn't know there were low tide ones. I learned something new today.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 75 51.7%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 74 51.0%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 37 25.5%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.2%
Back