New snowflake clown with mouth open

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have a new pair of snowflake clowns in my 20g nano. Both from liveaquaria and they are beautiful, however the smaller of the pair has been staying in the bottom corner of the tank (where they seem to have made their spot) swimming with his mouth open. No signs of bites or redness or discoloration. He seems fine other than that. Neither of them are eating much of the mysis shrimp I've tried feeding them, however I have noticed them eating copepods off of the glass. The clowns and a pom pom crab are the only ones in the tank and have been in there since saturday, and his mouth has been open since sunday. Parameters are good pH 8.1, 0 ammonia and nitrites, about 20ppm nitrates (about to water change), and 1.023 sg. I've got some melafix and pimafix api treatments coming in today in case it's something of that nature. No QT set up yet as this is my first salt tank, hopefully I can add the meds to the tank without causing problems. Any ideas/concerns are welcomed, I want the little guy to make it! As you can see in the picture its not gaping wide open, but it never closes. His bottom lip looks a little swollen.
aad86e29692d1ea1a0e4499f0f6ed91c.jpg
9a56740715fdaef5d418f1bb93fbdd28.jpg
2070bd44ca7cb254cea26c957bc9e4c3.jpg

343c66b93bbc33a3e5f4cccf3f9de21c.jpg

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also new to the community here and this is my first post, forgive me if Ive broken any rules or touched on an already discussed topic.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been setup and fully cycled? Have you tested for ammonia recently?

Does the clownfish with the open mouth look like he is yawning?

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been set up a little over a month now and fully cycled for about a week and a half. I test ammonia, nitrites, nitrates, and pH every day since its been cycled and everything is at 0 except nitrates at around 20. pH is about 8.1 (too low?).

He doesnt seem like he is yawning there is slight movement in his jaw and it isnt too wide, hard to tell because he is tiny. Shortly after I posted this he actually rested on the sand bed and layed still (upright) and closed his mouth for a second, as if he was using the sand bed to push his mouth shut. Opened back up as soon as he started swimming again.

Just picked up some imagitarium parasite remedy from petco, will it work the same as the above recommended prazipro? Also, can I use that, melafix, and pimafix all at once? Or will that cause problems? Planning a 25 percent water change tonight and adding those 3 if I can add them together.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to decide wether to do the melafix and pimafix together for the 7 day treatment or the parasite remedy first. What do you think? Water is heating for the 25% change now.

15029265471891623238420.jpg

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It actually doesn't mention an active ingredient. Can't find anything with research either. I think im going to go with the melafix and pimafix for 7 days and if nothing improves look into something for parasites. His lips are a little white. Hoping it's bacterial or fungal and this clears it up. Or time will heal the injury if its neither.

15029339460761198230349.jpg

1502933986280393041168.jpg

jeff williams

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's probably a natural remedy like pimafix and melafix, imo I would do like your thinking and dose the primafix and melafix together and use the other on separately. I have heard of a condition and I can't remember what causes it but the fishes mouth will stay puckered up like humblefish was asking you. And it either corrects itself or it don't but it wasn't treatable from what I remember.

Girthrockwel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also new to the community here and this is my first post, forgive me if Ive broken any rules or touched on an already discussed topic.

Folks here aren't like that. If you have a question, ask it. No reason to apologize. Welcome to the forum! Good luck with the fish.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Welcome to R2R! Don't worry about asking a question that's already been asked because nobody has asked that question in regards to YOUR fish. Everyone is here to help, and learn from one another. Best forum I've ever been part of.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the good vibes and warm welcomes. Dosed the mela and pima after the water change last night. He's already looking better this morning... His mouth is nearly all the way closed besides the slight opening and closing from his breathing. I'll keep up the treatments.

Stoked :D

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah not running a skimmer for now, got a powerhead towards the surface for now. I did read that tho8gh, good to know it holds truth.

So quick update:
He is still swimming with his mouth closed which seems to be progress but his cheeks look a little red, it might be his gills I can see through his face though, and he is breathing a bit quickly. Going keep up treatment. He also swims with his head higher than his tail and sometimes almost straight vertical since this all began.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
0 ammonia and everything except nitrates which are avout 10 ppm after last nigjts water change. Uploaded a video, here is the link. He may be fine and I may just be paranoid, again im new to the saltwater.

OP
OP
smalltimereefin

smalltimereefin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Considering the freshwater dip now. Does the pH of the freshwater matter as long as it's RO?

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 20.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back