New snowflake clown with mouth open

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No copper and crab! No sand- it absorbs and leaches chemicals that you add which rapidly changes your readings. It also gives pests a place to hide. Match salt/ temp acclimate. Do not add any metal removing liquids with copper as it makes poison! No drops/ you fish will produce enough. Please call!

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sand, did you put the bacteria in the water? If so I would order bio spira from amazon and put it on the filter media. Order coppersafe and an API copper test kit, a seachem ammonia alert badge since ammonia tests will read falsely with meds in water. Also order prazipro to use after 30days of copper is done. When you gat the copper add 1ml in the am and 1ml in the pm for three days but test copper level before adding on the third day. You want it to hit 2.0ppm

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sand, did you put the bacteria in the water? If so I would order bio spira from amazon and put it on the filter media. Order coppersafe and an API copper test kit, a seachem ammonia alert badge since ammonia tests will read falsely with meds in water. Also order prazipro to use after 30days of copper is done. When you gat the copper add 1ml in the am and 1ml in the pm for three days but test copper level before adding on the third day. You want it to hit 2.0ppm

You can combine copper and prazi with no problem. Also, 14 days is enough if you're mixing copper with your water change water. Lastly, I would tell him that since his fish is healthy and eating at the moment, to let it stay there while his qt cycles because his qt is really small and he's going going to have to do water changes daily until his bio filter builds which makes treating with anything useless.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
14 days is only enough if you are transferring to a sterile qt, since he has to be fallow for 6 weeks (I would recommend 76 days) I would go full 30 days then do prazi after copper to prevent any unwanted bacterial blooms.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus with a biofilter that isn't very established I would do as little meds in the water as possible since he will already be fighting ammonia spikes.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
plus with a biofilter that isn't very established I would do as little meds in the water as possible since he will already be fighting ammonia spikes.

I would avoid copper altogether until he has a biofilter. He'll be almost guessing t how much water was removed and how much copper to add.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He will have to measure it out add copper to the water change water before putting it in the tank. He has velvet and will need to move fast to save the fish, have plenty of water mixed up and do 95% waterchanges if required. I would not wait on copper with velvet.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would have to recommend for him to stop. There is way too many people telling him what to do with a fish that from what I can tell (eating is an excellent sign it is healthy for now) is healthy. A fish does not needs baths and dips and emergency qts at this point. He's going to stress and potentially kill his second fish, why, because it flashed, because it was with a fish that was diagnosed with velvet via the Internet? Now we have the owner panicked, buying anything and everything to save his fish and almost none of it is stuff we'd use on our own fish. My advise, stop now, return anything unopened that is not prazi or copper, cycle the tank with tims, and observe your fish. If he's eating mysis shrimp daily he should be fine long enough to qt.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this point I would have to recommend for him to stop. There is way too many people telling him what to do with a fish that from what I can tell (eating is an excellent sign it is healthy for now) is healthy. A fish does not needs baths and dips and emergency qts at this point. He's going to stress and potentially kill his second fish, why, because it flashed, because it was with a fish that was diagnosed with velvet via the Internet? Now we have the owner panicked, buying anything and everything to save his fish and almost none of it is stuff we'd use on our own fish. My advise, stop now, return anything unopened that is not prazi or copper, cycle the tank with tims, and observe your fish. If he's eating mysis shrimp daily he should be fine long enough to qt.
You are entitled to your opinion, but in my opinion healthy fish do not just die, and since them were in the same tank together the other fish will have the same parasite. He has already stated he saw the remaining fish swim into the flow and flash against the rockwork which is not normal behavior. Velvet is a very fast killing parasite with all the symptoms he has observed from both fish. In the end it has to be his choice but I would do exactly as stated having been through velvet already.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as for not using it on my own fish I have everything I recommended and use them to treat my fish that had velvet, who is a qt right now that I do daily WC to combat ammonia.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And as for not using it on my own fish I have everything I recommended and use them to treat my fish that had velvet, who is a qt right now that I do daily WC to combat ammonia.

But he's picked up a lot of things you do t use too. Also, I wasn't referring to the sick fish I'm talking about the fish that's alive. They're not completely helpless fish that need immediate intervention all the time by they're human saviors. If so wouldn't we have to save the ocean as well? Please make my argument by saying that the ocean is big enough for the parasite to not see the same fish. Here's why. It's a new fish in a new tank, velvet would have just been introduced, for the parasite cycle in a new to to establish may take some time. This isn't a tank that has been prone to velvet, it's new. That affords him some leeway while establishing a new set up. Also, I think that some of the advice given I this thread was lacking, no one told him that if the fish is lying at the bottom of a fw dip ( for the entirety) then he should remove the fish. We probably killed that fish, not the parasite.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If you have to do daily water changes on a hospital/qt this late in the game then you're not as prepared as it as knowledgable as you portray yourself to be. If you wee buying a fish your qt should be ready, if it's a hospital tank then you improperly qtd in the first place. Look Barrett I get it, you have anecdotal experience but you're not a biologist or chemist. These "symptoms" are sometimes normal behavior and pumping the brakes is most likely the best solution until he's properly equipped to tackle this problem.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have to do daily water changes on a hospital/qt this late in the game then you're not as prepared as it as knowledgable as you portray yourself to be. If you wee buying a fish your qt should be ready, if it's a hospital tank then you improperly qtd in the first place. Look Barrett I get it, you have anecdotal experience but you're not a biologist or chemist. These "symptoms" are sometimes normal behavior and pumping the brakes is most likely the best solution until he's properly equipped to tackle this problem.
As for my situation I would rather you not comment on things you have no clue about. I do not keep a permanent qt setup, and the fish on said qt is not a fish I bought or from my tank. It is the sole survivor of a friends tank that ignored the signs and symptoms of velvet and lost all the other fish in the tank and left the hobby so yes I did setup a qt very quickly and now have to do daily WC to combat ammonia but at the end of the day it is worth it to me to save the fish. I don't look at fish as just fish they are part of my family. If my kids were sick I would do whatever it takes to make sure they were healthy.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As for my situation I would rather you not comment on things you have no clue about. I do not keep a permanent qt setup, and the fish on said qt is not a fish I bought or from my tank. It is the sole survivor of a friends tank that ignored the signs and symptoms of velvet and lost all the other fish in the tank and left the hobby so yes I did setup a qt very quickly and now have to do daily WC to combat ammonia but at the end of the day it is worth it to me to save the fish. I don't look at fish as just fish they are part of my family. If my kids were sick I would do whatever it takes to make sure they were healthy.

But your aggressively pursuing this as if it is velvet. What did the lab results come back as? Oh we didn't run lab tests. So you're diagnosing by intermittent symptoms. If you sneeze do you have the plague? I'm calling for calm. And if you don't want a comment about your fish don't use them as an example, just saying, I wouldn't have known/commented had you not. And I'm treating fish as family as well but I'm not treating as if I'm an expert. When my kids get sick, I go to a dr. Not ask my neighbor what mess I should give them.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

By the way, good on you trying to save your friends fish. I will definitely not comment about that again since it bothered you. I'm only trying to make points on course of action, not get you upset. That being said, sorry if a crossed a line.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated before the OP is free to take the course of action he deems fit, I am just suggesting what I would do. Even if the other fish showed no signs of ailment it will be a carrier of whatever the other fish died of and going by the symptoms is velvet. If not treated and the DT left fallow all other fish added to the tank will contract the parasite.

greenhorn reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As stated before the OP is free to take the course of action he deems fit, I am just suggesting what I would do. Even if the other fish showed no signs of ailment it will be a carrier of whatever the other fish died of and going by the symptoms is velvet. If not treated and the DT left fallow all other fish added to the tank will contract the parasite.

Agreed. I am just suggesting he slows down, no dips or treatment, just cycle the qt first. After that he should re-access the situation and proceed. At that point I would say to copper and prazi. We're almost on the same page.

SashimiTurtle

Turtle
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Greenhorn, you have offered nothing constructive to this discussion. What is your prupose here other than to start arguements? OP has lost one fish already, we're just trying to give him solid advice on saving the other one. If he didn't want to save it her wouldn't have asked for advise and just ignored symptoms until they were both dead.
How many times have you dealt with velvet? I'm 2 for 3 on saving fish that come in with velvet, all purchased from LiveAquaria. Once you've done that, and actually seen velvet... it sticks out like a sore thumb.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 39 83.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 14.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 3 6.4%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.3%
Back