new sps and Montipora bleaching

LuisA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all I got some free stuff from a fellow reefer and the montipora and an unknow sps are showing bad signs of bleaching. just tested to water and these are the numbers Mg Ca KH Ph Nitrate 1185 430 8 8 10
I am dosing the tank to bring the Mag up to around 1400 this should be done by friday or so. also The SPS is getting blasted by a mj1200 with the suregrip mod and sitting right under a 250w MH 14k. the montipora is getting about med light and and is getting a small current from a mj400.

do you guys think that the monti is high or low in the tank?
will the Mag being low make these bleach pretty bad?
I am close to finishing my new sump and i will get some cheato to help keep the nitrates down.
thanks for the help.

reefpoor

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move them to the bottom of the tank and gradually acclimate them to your lighting. Probably light shocked, Mg is a little low, but other parameters really aren't bad. Do you know what lighting and alk they were kept at? Monti's really don't like alk swings at all. Go for stability rather that trying to get ideal parameters and they can recover. BTW I have 250 MH and most of my monti's are at the bottom to mid way up

OP
OP
L

LuisA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd move them to the bottom of the tank and gradually acclimate them to your lighting. Probably light shocked, Mg is a little low, but other parameters really aren't bad. Do you know what lighting and alk they were kept at? Monti's really don't like alk swings at all. Go for stability rather that trying to get ideal parameters and they can recover. BTW I have 250 MH and most of my monti's are at the bottom to mid way up

good deal I will try them down lowand try moving them slowly

hollback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
You might also want to move your maxijet 1200 that's blasting your acro. That pump may blow the flesh right off the skeleton. Try point the stream just to the side of the acro. This will give the coral plenty of indirect flow.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Move to indirect flow, and down a bit. But should come around....Monti's are pretty hardy when it comes to sps.

joelq

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Light acclimation is probably the main reason for the bleaching, but your high nitrates could also be contributing, especially if they came from zero nitrate water. Ideally, you should get your nitrates to <5, if not zero.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back