New sulfur denitrator working great!

skr791346

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk consumption more than tripled. The Koralline SD was nothing but problems for me. Short term it worked great. Long term not so much. Bacteria flocks build up and spew back into that tank in the form of sulfur. It stinks and effected my SPS. Even running wide open 150+ gallons per day, it was spitting out 0 nitrates, but stunk like eggs. I suggest all you new SD users be careful long term and watch your tank closely after your able to run it wide open. I used one, but not without drawbacks.
I recall reading about the alk drop while researching sulfur reactors but I didn't expect such a huge drop rate. Had me freaked out, testing with multiple kits at first. I'm at double the original alk dose and all steady now. :)

I absolutely agree with you re: Korallin SD. It never really worked properly. After switching to Aquamaxx, I have no complaints so far.

One of the reasons my Koralline is now in the garage. Nothing but a hassle. Take the thing apart, clean it, lose the cycle in the process then start all over again.
So I *think* I figured out why this was happening. I was being too obsessed with keeping ORP within the recommended "range," even after reaching 0 nitrate effluent, I kept tinkering with the flow rate. Once opening the valve as much as possible after reaching 0 nitrate, disregarding the ORP reading, haven't had any issues since.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My alk consumption more than tripled. The Koralline SD was nothing but problems for me. Short term it worked great. Long term not so much. Bacteria flocks build up and spew back into that tank in the form of sulfur. It stinks and effected my SPS. Even running wide open 150+ gallons per day, it was spitting out 0 nitrates, but stunk like eggs. I suggest all you new SD users be careful long term and watch your tank closely after your able to run it wide open. I used one, but not without drawbacks.

I also noticed my Alk consumption significantly increasing. At first I thought I had a problem with my CaRx.

My CaRx used to be able to handle the Alk/Ca demand but I’ve had to begin supplemental dosing just to keep up.

Does anyone how just how much Alk a SD consumes?

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An update on my SD experience. This thread helped me make a decision to buy one almost two years ago when upgrading to my current 450 gal mixed reef.

The good: I’ve been keeping reef tanks for 20 years and nitrate was always the biggest problem for me. I’ve tried Berlin, DSB, biopellets, vinegar dosing and any other method that promised to control nitrates. I never was able to fully conquer nitrates and would look at those low nutrient tanks with admiration a bit of envy. Since I started using an SD, worrying about nitrates has been a thing of the past. The SD just works! I’m able to keep nitrates at 2-5ppm consistently and my SPS are happy and growing like crazy.

I was initially pretty worried about H2S and the potential risk to the tank, health hazard and most importantly, smell that would have surely meant that the SD wouldn’t have survived another day in the house! I’ll have to say this has been a non-issue, not once have I even smelled a hint of rotten eggs. I’ve even had periods of restricted flow (more about this later) and I’ve seen dark material form on the surface of the sulfur beads but I’ve just increased the flow when I notice and it quickly clears up without any impact to tank inhabitants. Using an ORP probe and doing the Apex pH visualization trick has been really helpful to spot any flow issues and take corrective action.

The bad: as mentioned above, my Alk consumption has increased significantly and I’ve had to start dosing, in addition to my CaRx just to keep up. My happier and faster growing SPS probably have something to do with this too :)

I’ve had ocasional bacterial blooms and noticed an oily film on the surface of the water. This has sometimes lasted a few days to a few weeks and other than being displeasing to the eye, I didn’t really notice any impact to tank inhabitants.

The ugly: my biggest pain with this unit has definitely been flow control! I have an aquamaxx TS-3 and I must say I really like the unit but the flow control valve has not worked for me. It requires constant fiddling with it and is ultra sensitive to small adjustments, which makes keeping it at the right flow a challenge.

At this point, I’m seriously considering a continuous duty peristaltic pump. I don’t want to have to spend $280 on a pump for the reactor, but it’s really a pain to try to keep at the right flow. Not sure if others have found a way around this problem but I’d love to learn how!

Overall, I’m really happy running the SD. After running one for two years, I really don’t understand why they have, dare I say, a “bad” rap and aren’t more commonly used.

Thanks to everyone who’s contributed to this thread. I was able to solve a 20 year nitrate struggle and can now move on to other problems, such as what to do with all my corals that are overrunning my tank ;Happy

They say the proof is in the pudding:

D91D18EB-66AE-4849-B1C1-5DADA1294FD8.jpeg

AA30AFD6-453B-4C82-AAB6-80BCCDF8317B.jpeg

LobsterOfJustice

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The ugly: my biggest pain with this unit has definitely been flow control! I have an aquamaxx TS-3 and I must say I really like the unit but the flow control valve has not worked for me. It requires constant fiddling with it and is ultra sensitive to small adjustments, which makes keeping it at the right flow a challenge.

At this point, I’m seriously considering a continuous duty peristaltic pump. I don’t want to have to spend $280 on a pump for the reactor, but it’s really a pain to try to keep at the right flow. Not sure if others have found a way around this problem but I’d love to learn how!

Overall, I’m really happy running the SD. After running one for two years, I really don’t understand why they have, dare I say, a “bad” rap and aren’t more commonly used.

Agreed. I am happy with my Geo unit but I will be getting a kamoer continuous duty peristaltic pump soon because I struggle to keep the flow consistent.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought the denitrator in April and I have been frustrated to say the least. Between nitrite spikes, clogging reactor, pH issues, I almost gave up. I'm glad I didn't!!

My nitrates went from 100+ with a sick lionfish (lionfish are very sensitive to high nitrate) to now 25. I also have a bag of matrix in my sump as well.

I tested nitrates 5 times over the last 3 days (because I don't believe it) and it they are at 25. My goal was under 40. My flow at this point is a very small stream. If I turn it up, ORP goes positive, right now ORP is -140 and effluent is about zero (see picture, one is tank water the clear is effluent) I think my issue was that my nitrate was so high, anything above a drip couldn't be consumed by the sulfur and I was getting an incomplete reaction resulting in nitrite.

The other thing I noticed was that alk plays a huge role. I have a Fowler, so alk is never a thought. When I couldn't keep pH above 7.7 I tested the alk and it was about 6.5. I started dosing ALK (now around 8) and the reactor really came alive. I'm not sure about the science, but it does matter.

Now I can stop dosing Prime every 36 hours and TRY to enjoy the tank. Now off to battle the GHA in my reef tank that has nitrate at 10ppm. I made a DIY SD but it never worked right.
20190608_195014.jpeg

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also noticed my Alk consumption significantly increasing. At first I thought I had a problem with my CaRx.

My CaRx used to be able to handle the Alk/Ca demand but I’ve had to begin supplemental dosing just to keep up.

Does anyone how just how much Alk a SD consumes?
It really is amazing how much alk they consume, but like I said in the above post, they don't work right without alk. I even have my return going through a reactor with ARM and it doesn't make a difference.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From another thread where the Alk consumption effect of SDs is discussed, I’ve copied below and you can read more here:

https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/sulphur-in-the-reefaquarium.492492/#post-5307258

Three things I can immediately think of for SD users:
- will need to “oversize” CaRx and dose Alk since Alk and Ca will become unbalanced otherwise due to the SDs consumption of only
- if dosing only, will need to dose Alk and Ca in different proportions to keep both at appropriate levels
- An SD will tend to have a pH lowering effect, similar to CaRx’s due to the acid formation

In my own experience, other than having to dose supplemental Alk, I haven’t noticed any negative impact to the tank inhabitants and once you figure out how much Alk needs to be dosed to overcome the SD consumption, it’s not really an issue.

From other thread:

Nitrate in the Reef Aquarium - REEFEDITION
http://www.reefedition.com/nitrate-in-the-reef-aquarium/

from it:

Sulfur Denitrators

In these systems, bacteria use elemental sulfur and produce N2 from the sulfur and nitrate according the following equation (or something similar):

2 H2O + 5 S + 6 NO3– → 3 N2 + 5 SO42- + 4 H+

The production of acid (H+) in this reactor can tend to reduce the aquarium alkalinity. It has also been suggested to pass the effluent of such a reactor through a bed of aragonite to use the acid (H+) produced to dissolve the calcium carbonate, and thereby provide calcium and alkalinity to the aquarium. While that is a fine idea, it doesn’t add much calcium and alkalinity to most aquaria.

To estimate the magnitude of the effect, we start with a liberal estimate of how much nitrate might be removed. Say 10 ppm of nitrate per week.

10 ppm nitrate = 0.16 mmole/L of nitrate

Since 4 moles of H+ are produced for every 6 moles of nitrate consumed, this will produce

0.107 mmoles/L of H+ per week

How much calcium this could produce?

Assume that it takes one proton to dissolve one calcium carbonate:

CaCO3 + H+ → Ca2+ + HCO3–

Clearly, this is a substantial overestimate because much of the acid will be used up driving the pH down to the point where CaCO3 can even begin to dissolve. Consequently, we have an upside limit of 0.107 mmoles of Ca2+ per week. Since calcium weighs 40 mg/mmol, that’s 4.3 ppm Ca2+ per week.

For comparison, an aquarist adding 2% of the tank volume in saturated limewater daily is adding on the order of 16 ppm of calcium per day. Consequently, this method may not be especially useful for maintaining calcium. Additionally, the acid produced will have a long term lowering effect on the alkalinity. In fact, it is double dipping on the alkalinity depletion since alkalinity is consumed when the nitrate is produced, and again when it is removed in the denitrator. So if you use a sulfur denitrator, be sure to monitor the alkalinity in the aquarium.

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered the Kamoer, should be arriving tomorrow. Got tired of trying to adjust the flow via the pinch valve, wich is a futile exercise!

Starting to seriously consider upgrading my Calcium Reactor. It’s struggling to keep up and I’m having to dose quite a bit of Alk to maintain alkalinity.

Does anyone know if there’s a way to estimate how much Alk is consumed by the SD? Should be possible to estimate via the chemical reaction formula, just been too long for me. Maybe @Randy Holmes-Farley can help ;Bookworm

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m considering a SD but the media seems really hard to find. Buddy of mine uses the Caribbean LSM, but that appears now discontinued. What media have you guys used?

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

ReeferBud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good thing the media lasts several years and I still have like 1/2 gal of LSM left :)

There must be other sulfur medias sold around the world. Just hope someone fills the void and starts distributing it in the US.

I can’t imagine the demand for sulfur medias is very high. There’s not that many people running SD’s and the media lasts a long time.

We just need to spread the word about how awesome SD’s really are and maybe the increased demand will help fix the lack of supply situation ;)

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that’s how I’ve seen others set up their Calcium Reactors. Should I be pushing through instead?
I push the water through. After you finally are able to turn the flow up (after a month or so), the lines don't really clog up and the air bubble problems go away.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Aquamax came set up for push. I don't know which way is better.

jasonrusso

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I *think* I figured out why this was happening. I was being too obsessed with keeping ORP within the recommended "range," even after reaching 0 nitrate effluent, I kept tinkering with the flow rate. Once opening the valve as much as possible after reaching 0 nitrate, disregarding the ORP reading, haven't had any issues since.

This is sooooo accurate! I read another thread that said it was imperative to tune the reactor. I spent $125 on a probe and stand alone meter because Apex won't read negative. I probably wasted 6 weeks fiddling with the flow trying to keep it around -170. This led to clogs, nitrite production, and large amounts of frustration. Finally I just said "screw it" and turned the flow up. Within a month my nitrates were rapidly dropping. Now, my tank is like 5ppm and effluent is 0-1ppm. My ORP readings are +220. Either my ORP probe is wrong (I don't think so because I can make drop almost instantly slowing the flow) or it isn't that important.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 19.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 26.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back