New Swiss 1900 liter (500G) Build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Moving along very well and excited about you being so close to getting it wet!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've decided to put a ball valve on each of my returns. I've already got them so why not? Never know when they may come in handy.

They'll also allow me to close one to do maintenance (for example on the return pump) without worrying about back siphoning... The tank can continue running on the other pump ;Happy

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow, this is becoming more beautiful day by day. Cannot wait to see the end product in all it’s glory. My tank finally arrives tomorrow. Will start a build thread when it arrives

Yes, it's coming along!

But in all it's glory will take quite a while... I don't think that will happen for another year or more at least. Initially it will look empty with only my current livestock in it! ;Wideyed

Yes, let us know when you start your build thread!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of current livestock, here is an FTS of the current tank... getting crowded with coral!

I've not been fragging for a while as I want larger colonies for the new tank...

IMG_2125.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this plating Montipora has taken over this section of rock and is actually growing up the back glass of the tank!

This is one coral that I need to be very careful with if I bring it into the new tank as it grows like crazy and covers everything in it's path (under some of that are acros that were swallowed up!). To frag this I will need a chisel and hammer... or a jackhammer! ;Joyful

IMG_2124.JPEG

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Speaking of current livestock, here is an FTS of the current tank... getting crowded with coral!

I've not been fragging for a while as I want larger colonies for the new tank...

IMG_2125.JPEG
Beautiful Laith, following along

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to fish and inverts, I currently have:

- 1 Yellow Tang
- 1 Coral Beauty
- 2 Blue Damsels
- 2 Clowns
- 1 Mandarin
- 2 Peppermint shrimps
- Conch

and the live rock is full of cocepods etc...

All of the above except for the shrimps and conch I've had for years.

I need to find a large CUC for the new tank but these are difficult to find around here!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Started mounting parts that I can. Controller for the Gyres:

IMG_2126.JPEG

The cable duct is not yet fixed as I need to cut it.

This being Switzerland, making noise with a circular saw on a Sunday is a no no so will have to cut that (and the rest of the piping) on another day!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this issue has been apparent since they built the tank. The side door of the house leading outside opens in such a way that it will bang against the end of the tank, especially the door handle ;Rage :oops:! So for the moment I've but a piece of PVC wrapped in a towel against the end of the tank to protect it.

And I haven't yet found a decent, sure solution to this.... anyone have any good ideas??

IMG_2128.JPEG

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And on an interesting side note...

My 11 year old son has two smallish (40 liter) freshwater tanks. On one of them he has put a plant through a hole in the glass cover with the roots in the water. Obviously the plant is loving the Nitrates and Phosphates in the water!

Pretty cool... ;Joyful

IMG_2129.JPEG

IMG_2130.JPEG

ThatFishGuy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And this issue has been apparent since they built the tank. The side door of the house leading outside opens in such a way that it will bang against the end of the tank, especially the door handle ;Rage :oops:! So for the moment I've but a piece of PVC wrapped in a towel against the end of the tank to protect it.

And I haven't yet found a decent, sure solution to this.... anyone have any good ideas??

IMG_2128.JPEG
Is it possible to switch the door to the other side of the frame so that it opens to the left?

Blue Tang Clan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is it possible to switch the door to the other side of the frame so that it opens to the left?

Long-term -- this is the best solution. If it's a French door that you can alternate the "active" door to the other side, do that, but if it's a single -- you would be crazy not to change the swing direction of the door.

We spend silly amounts of money on lights, pumps, etc. -- the relatively small expense of changing the door direction should be a priority!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Long-term -- this is the best solution. If it's a French door that you can alternate the "active" door to the other side, do that, but if it's a single -- you would be crazy not to change the swing direction of the door.

We spend silly amounts of money on lights, pumps, etc. -- the relatively small expense of changing the door direction should be a priority!

I agree and this would normally be the best solution. However, it is a double door and both doors open inwards so switching doors around would only remove the danger of the door handle banging the tank, not the rest of the door.

And making one of the doors fixed is not an acceptable option... would never get that past my other half ;Happy.

I need to find some type of door stopper solution that is 100% foolproof and at the same time doesn't look odd or bulky.

Mortie31

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree and this would normally be the best solution. However, it is a double door and both doors open inwards so switching doors around would only remove the danger of the door handle banging the tank, not the rest of the door.

And making one of the doors fixed is not an acceptable option... would never get that past my other half ;Happy.

I need to find some type of door stopper solution that is 100% foolproof and at the same time doesn't look odd or bulky.
Can you not simply use a short length of chain screwed to the top of the door and frame, you can adjust the length to change how much the door will open

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you not simply use a short length of chain screwed to the top of the door and frame, you can adjust the length to change how much the door will open

I think that that may be the best solution... or similar; perhaps a small telescopic bar.

I'll take a look at the hardware store and see what's available!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back