OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A short (badly made ;Wacky ) video of the tank from today. The lights had been ramping up for only an hour so very very blue and colours not the greatest. Filmed with an iPhone.

Notice all the space available for more corals! I love all the flat areas of this rock for that...

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of the things I'm really enjoying in the new tank is the difference in fish life/activity/behavior that a large deep tank gives.

In my previous 250l tank, most of the visual was the corals. It had seven fish but they didn't draw your eyes that much as most of the time half of them were swimming in the rocks. And the two cleaner shrimps would hover around one place or inside a cave.

In the new tank, I have so far added four more tangs, three more angelfish and a lawnmower blenny. Even with this low population (for this size tank) the fish take on a big role in the visual aspect of the tank. And with the length and depth of the tank, they swim everywhere, both lengthwise but also from top to bottom.

And the behavior of the fish is so much more like what I see in the sea when I dive: tangs "shoaling" on a face all picking on the rocks, as are the angelfish. And for the first time I see the normal behavior of the fish vis a vis the cleaner shrimp: their part of the tank has become an actual cleaning station with almost all of the fish going to the shrimp from time to time and having the shrimp climb over them and pick at them! ;Happy I never saw this in my previous tank.

I can just imagine that this aspect will get better as I add more fish, such as a school of Anthias etc.

Not sure if I've described what I want to say well enough for it to make sense?

Anyway, all is going very well with the tank. Just doing some test to find the best ventilation. I'll explain that in another post.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad it is coming along! What angels have you added? They are next on my list for consideration.

I now have:

Coral Beauty (which I had in the old tank)
Bi-color
Potters
Majestic

And the size of the tank plus that I feed well has meant that I haven't seen any aggression or nipping at corals from any of them.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Three days ago my LFS received a shipment of fish and corals so I rushed over to see what had arrived.

I picked up eight Chromis viridis (Blue Green Chromis) and a Xanthichthys ringens (Sargassum Trigger). The Chromis are tiny but doing well as is the Trigger. All out and about and eating like pigs... ;Joyful

I also picked up an Acropora, a small bright pink Goniopora, a Euphyllia with interesting "curved" hammers (like horseshoes) and a flourescent green Catalaphyllia.

My online order of nine Anthias is still on hold due to a lack of supply. When (if?) that comes through the combination of the Anthias and Chromis should be nice.

I will try to do another video soon!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Anthias arrived last Friday, along with two Mandarins. Unfortunately four of the nine Anthias were DOA. Of the remaining five, one is not eating that much but the remaining four are active and eating.

The Mandarins are not a male and female pair but the tank is big enough and there are enough cocepods everywhere that they are doing fine.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The day after the Anthias were introduced, there was suddenly all out war between the purple tang and one of the yellow tangs :oops: ;Rage. Prior to this all the tangs had gotten along fine, swimming and eating together. What was interesting was that it was only that pair that were fighting each other; the other tangs were left alone.

I had heard that sometimes as tangs reached more mature ages they would do this type of thing. I decided to leave them to it as they would be impossible to catch...

After two days the two stopped fighting. And the scars are now healing ;Wideyed. Those little blades they have can do some damage! But it doesn't look like any serious damage was done and now they're ignoring each other :rolleyes:.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is good news that the war ended! My yellow went after my gem and I went medieval on him and got him out and back to the store. Not risking the gem tang...

Yes, if it had been a gem tang I might have acted differently!

I just hope that the truce is permanent and not just a period for them to heal before having at it again...

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am afraid all new additions run the risk of upsetting my truce. Each type of fish has settled into a hierarchy and some new fish disrupt it. Pain!

Yes, fish variety/population management is a new domain for me. In my previous 250l tank I had the same seven fish for years.

I thought I was being careful and planning well but still had that issue.

The two tangs are still bickering from time to time but a lot less.

Yesterday the Potters Angel and the Coral Beauty suddenly had at it. They had ignored each other completely since I added the Potters Angel on the 21st of January, over four months ago! So I decided to try to catch the Potters but ended up catching the Coral Beauty and putting it into the sump. Not sure whether to re-introduce the Coral Beauty into the DT later...

In hindsight I didn't do enough research as both the Coral Beauty and Potters Angel are dwarf angelfish (in fact, so is the bi-color I've got in there, also introduced on the 21st of January). But I thought in a 1900 l system there is enough space.

Interesting times!

alimac122

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Anthias arrived last Friday, along with two Mandarins. Unfortunately four of the nine Anthias were DOA. Of the remaining five, one is not eating that much but the remaining four are active and eating.

The Mandarins are not a male and female pair but the tank is big enough and there are enough cocepods everywhere that they are doing fine.

sorry to hear about the anthias.

from my experience with schools of anthias they tend to get picky. Eventually picking off each other until 2-3 are left.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting:

Since I took the Coral Beauty out (currently in the sump), the DT seems to have calmed down. The bickering between the two tangs mentioned previously has basically stopped.;Happy

I have a sneaking suspicion that the Coral Beauty was one of those bullies that you never or rarely see doing anything but behind your back they are a terror to everyone... ;Rage.

I have ordered one of those floating acclimatization boxes (40cm long that you can divide into four compartments). I will put the Coral Beauty in that for a while and watch and then decide on what to do with it. I'm very hesitant to put it back in the DT; I was very very lucky to be able to catch it in the first place!

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As to the other recent additions, the eight chromis are doing fine as are the remaining four anthias. All are eating well.

The trigger is doing great as well.

The two mandarins are also fine and are already getting plump! I'm pretty sure I've ended up with two females as neither has the long pointed upper fin.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I ordered these back in February and they finally arrived. I had access to the standard ones but I wanted the new PRO version which used black screens.

IMG_2613.JPEG

The plan is to have these in three sections over the DT. I'm curious as to how well I'll be able to customize them around the return pipes and the autofeeder. Though I think the autofeeder can just feed through the mesh without a problem.

Once installed I need to study up on wrasses! ;Happy

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also received this. I'm currently dosing the company's EasyBooster product (phytoplankton) and have noticed over the couple of months that I've been dosing it that the cocepod population is fantastic... must be the reason my Mandarins are getting plump
:p

IMG_2614.JPEG

The EasySPS product is zooplankton and has been shown to improve coral colour and growth by providing necessary nutrients, including the amino acids within the zooplankton. I'm currently manually dosing the Fauna Marin AMIN amino acid supplement but even though they say you can put that on a doser they also say it needs to be shaken. As soon as I finish the AMIN product I'll install the EasySPS bag and hook it up to a doser. Amino acid dosing has given me some pretty good (subjective of course) results in terms of deeper coloration and faster growth.

Intuitively it makes sense (at least to me) that providing the full food chain in the tank can be a good thing. Phyto for the smaller organisms, zooplankton for the larger ones, etc etc.

And I love the fact that neither product needs to be refrigerated and can be hooked up to a doser so that they can be dosed throughout the day...

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back