OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, after I laid everything out and checked it matched my order, I went to get my piping drawing. This is the drawing I made from which I put together the order.

And of course, I can't find it! :eek:

Now to work backwards from the piping and bits on the table... ;Nailbiting

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, a problem that I have been working on has been how to get the phone line moved but more importantly how to get the RODI feed from the kitchen sink to the tank and the removed water from the tank to the drain under the same sink. All the while making the lines as discrete as possible.

In the end the problem was solved by the decision to cover our tile floor with wood parquet after the tank has been installed. So the solution is:

The dig.JPG

Dig into the floor under the current tile. In this will be put a plastic pipe that can hold up to four 1/4" tubes (I only need two at the moment) and the telephone line (you can see the current telephone plug at the bottom of the picture on the wall). This will go across the floor to the cabinetry in the kitchen where the phone line will come up onto a shelf for the installation of our WiFi router etc.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here you can see where the 1/4" tubes will go to: under the kitchen sink at the upper right of the picture, under the kitchen cabinetry...

leading to kitchen sink.JPG

Yes, that's a gerbil cage on the floor in the picture. We live in a zoo: besides the tank, we have four gerbils, two dogs (Yorkies), two tortoises, two budgies and two small freshwater tanks that are my son's...

The gerbil cage will be temporarily moved as that's where the current tank will be moved to for about a month until the new tank is ready...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So finally build start will be the 24th, including the stand. Works out better because I'm running out of time to move the current tank... this will give me the weekend to get that done.

Tomorrow I should be picking up the lighting, flow pumps and the rest of the GHL bits that I need.

We have heating :

IMG_1807.JPG

Heaters 3.JPG

I was surprised by how heavy these are.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have decided on PM Reef Ceramic dry rock for the rockwork. Plus the live rock in my current tank which will either be integrated into the aquascape or put into the sump... or a bit of both.

I haven't ordered the dry rock yet because I'm still playing around with the aquascape design. This is turning out to be one of the tougher tasks of the build! ;Wacky ;Wideyed

I'm open to all ideas! :)

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Remember my problem with the Avast Superlocker? About finding a standard 5 US gallon bucket to fit the Avast lid on?

US Plastics has them online for about $6... but by the time it would have gotten here that would have been a $75 bucket! ;Wacky

So I finally found one at a more reasonable price (still more expensive that just buying a bucket here) from a UK firm and it arrived today:

IMG_1809.JPEG

Does it fit??

IMG_1810.JPEG

Yes. One less problem to solve :cool:.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I hadn't realized that the standard Gyre 350 combo set can only be used on a maximum glass thickness of 20mm. At least that's what I've understood after searching online: the manual that came with it doesn't mention glass thickness.

So I guess I may need to order the "reinforced" magnets that can work on glass up to 25mm.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 50 83.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 9 15.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Other

Votes: 3 5.0%
Back