New Swiss 1900 liter (500G) Build

crusso1993

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the past couple of months I've noticed that I'm changing/swapping the two DI canisters on my RO/DI unit more often. I'm reading the TDS of the RO water going into DI canister #1 and the TDS of the water coming out of the same canister. As soon as the water coming out of DI canister #1 shows anything other than 0 I move DI canister #2 to position #1 and the used DI canister is emptied and refilled and becomes DI canister #2.

Yesterday I was getting a TDS of 2 coming out of canister #1 after only about 380-400 liters (around 100G) of water was made since the last change.

This seems very low. I remember when I was filling the tank for the first time I was getting about 1,200 liters of water before a DI change...

I read somewhere that a 10" DI canister should take out about 3,800 TDS. My RO water going into the DI canister is measuring 3-4 TDS. Which means that I should be getting between 950 and 1,200 liters out before changing DI.

Something is off and I suspect that it may be the quality of the DI resin. After the first fill of the tank due to availability I purchased the Triton DI resin (the 5 liter boxes). I would have thought the Triton DI would be top quality?

I will order some of my previous brand of DI resin (Fauna Marin) and see if the culprit is poor quality DI resin.

Can anybody think of another reason this could be happening?

If you're on a well and have recently had heavy rains you could see a possible increase in TDS.

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your reservoir automatically being refilled by the RODI correct? The problem is likely TDS creep. Every time the RO shuts off and then starts up again there's a burst of high TDS water that gets through the RO membrane. If the unit is cycling frequently it will burn DI resin more quickly.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have your reservoir automatically being refilled by the RODI correct? The problem is likely TDS creep. Every time the RO shuts off and then starts up again there's a burst of high TDS water that gets through the RO membrane. If the unit is cycling frequently it will burn DI resin more quickly.

Yes the reservoirs (fresh saltwater and RO/DI topoff water) are being automatically refilled... but not as soon as the level goes down: I have float sensors at the top and bottom so they only start refilling when they are empty. And the fresh saltwater tank holds about 270 liters (70G) and the RO/DI topoff tank holds about 150 liters (40G).

So any TDS creep will be offset as the tanks take about 7 hours and 13.5 hours to fill...

For info, here is the setup:

AWC & ATO System.jpg

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When the salt tank is empty and then refilled with RO does your auto water change stop until you add salt?

Yes, as soon as the bottom float is triggered, the Profilux turns off the AWC (the Litermeters) and powers the solenoid which starts the refill.

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My online fish supplier is still delivering... and seems to have some good stock levels.

I may order a school of anthias ;Happy. They have both the Bartletts and the Lyretails, as well as Tukas. I've never had Anthias but as far as I have read, Bartletts are smaller than Lyretails and Tukas are very difficult to keep...

Any recommendations?

OP
OP
Laith

Laith

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ordered nine Lyretails... and two Mandarin fish.

The tank is full of cocepods for the Mandarins, even more so than before I started dosing the phyto. So I'm assuming that the phyto is feeding the cocepod population... ;Happy

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back