New T5/LED Hybrid Lighting Fixture - nearly universal BYO - Aquatic Life

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
Hello everyone. I have been reading through the thread and there are a few things that I would like to let you know.

1. Working on wider end plates to accommodate the larger LED fixtures to be mounted perpendicular to the housing. Giving 12.5" of space in the middle of the fixture. We will make a universal bracket for the LED mounting.
2. Working to make a narrower version that will keep the fixture width at around 12" and would work with the 160 Kessil fixtures only. Very little space in the middle.
3. Possibly a 16" width bracket that would allow the 360 bracket to be rotated 90° and a universal bracket that will allow AI Primes to be mounted down the middle.

The reason we did not go with a lens cover was for a few reasons.
1. Most retrofit T5 fixtures we looked that are used for DIY setups, used moisture proof sockets and did not have lens covers. Figured we could do the same.
2. Eliminated the requirement for a taller fixture as there are no fans or transformers to mount internally.
3. The T5 lamps will run much better and no transmission loss through a lens cover.
4. Reflectors will be available if needed.

We are also evaluating a possible white version, let me know if this is something you would want.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I have been reading through the thread and there are a few things that I would like to let you know.

1. Working on wider end plates to accommodate the larger LED fixtures to be mounted perpendicular to the housing. Giving 12.5" of space in the middle of the fixture. We will make a universal bracket for the LED mounting.
2. Working to make a narrower version that will keep the fixture width at around 12" and would work with the 160 Kessil fixtures only. Very little space in the middle.
3. Possibly a 16" width bracket that would allow the 360 bracket to be rotated 90° and a universal bracket that will allow AI Primes to be mounted down the middle.

1. Most retrofit T5 fixtures we looked that are used for DIY setups, used moisture proof sockets and did not have lens covers. Figured we could do the same.
2. Eliminated the requirement for a taller fixture as there are no fans or transformers to mount internally.
3. The T5 lamps will run much better and no transmission loss through a lens cover.

We are also evaluating a possible white version, let me know if this is something you would want.

Any chance you will sell the wider end plates as an upgrade kit?

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A white version would be awesome. dang I already preorder the black.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know what type of light spillover this has?

That'll depend on your tank and the mounting height, but the actual width of the lamp area only extends to 14.5". The outer inch and a half or so on either side is actually taken up by the ballast housing. On an 18"+ tank where I'd see this being used, there should really be little concern.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That'll depend on your tank and the mounting height, but the actual width of the lamp area only extends to 14.5". The outer inch and a half or so on either side is actually taken up by the ballast housing. On an 18"+ tank where I'd see this being used, there should really be little concern.
When are you guys going to start stocking the kits to make them wider? :p

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Waaaah... no AP700 love?!

Technically the AP700 does have top mounting threads for the hanging it, and with the universal brackets, this fixture should be able to accommodate it. The width betweeen T5's does allow for enough room.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have a finished sample that I will be reviewing next week. If it looks good we are considering releasing the units in white too.

Trying to gauge how many people would want white.

125mph

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this last months.. Looks slick and is what I needed a earlier this year when I was doing my build!!! I had to build my own hybrid unit since there wasn't a solution avaliable... using retro T5, ecotech LED and some wood that matches my stand... I still might get this when it's available in 60" though.

Mine:

002.JPG

004.JPG

scuzy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sure the white units would match all the white LEDs like Ai, nitrate out there.

rlcobbsr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was informed by your customer service that there is a bracket included for mounting your Halo lights. If so can you give me some idea of how it works & looks because of all the pics I have seen I don't see anything that will work to keep lights secure and level with the T5's.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I was informed by your customer service that there is a bracket included for mounting your Halo lights. If so can you give me some idea of how it works & looks because of all the pics I have seen I don't see anything that will work to keep lights secure and level with the T5's.
The Halo would mount to the universal brackets but would hang lower than the T5. I will work on getting the dimensions and details today.

sil40sx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Technically the AP700 does have top mounting threads for the hanging it, and with the universal brackets, this fixture should be able to accommodate it. The width betweeen T5's does allow for enough room.

Oh yeah, you're right. That makes sense, thanks!

rlcobbsr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Halo would mount to the universal brackets but would hang lower than the T5. I will work on getting the dimensions and details today.
Thanks Dave. I think I have a pretty good idea of how it will mount and look which brings me to the question of how effective the T5's will actually be seeing how far they would be from the water surface. Halo's approx. 8" off of water would put the T5"s approx. 12" off the water surface. I have a standard 90gl tank with a deep sand bed. It's approx 19" from water surface to top of sand so that would be roughly 30" from T5's to sand surface. I'm just not sure how effective the T5's would be for light penetration for corals on sand bed surface or even livestock that is a little higher up on rocks. 30" is pretty deep for T5's I would think. I would very much like to get this fixture but I'm not sure if the benefits would justify the price. Any input would be appreciated.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It says this unit will work with AI Primes. Will it offer adapters that work with the Hydra 26 HD?

Jimbo662

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Saw this last months.. Looks slick and is what I needed a earlier this year when I was doing my build!!! I had to build my own hybrid unit since there wasn't a solution avaliable... using retro T5, ecotech LED and some wood that matches my stand... I still might get this when it's available in 60" though.

Mine:

002.JPG

004.JPG

Oh...this pic just gave me an idea...get some of the lightweight / foam crown molding to build a frame around it!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 35 85.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.3%
Back