New T5/LED Hybrid Lighting Fixture - nearly universal BYO - Aquatic Life

AquaticLifeProducts

Aquarium Equipment Company
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have a few sets on the way, the package is "lost" right now. I have the 24" LED brackets but not the end plates. I'm told I should them any day.

The 24" parts will increase the fixture with around 5.0" increasing the width to 23.25" or 590mm. This will widen the center area to a little over 12.25". I measure the XR30 at 11.75".

I hope this helps.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few sets on the way, the package is "lost" right now. I have the 24" LED brackets but not the end plates. I'm told I should them any day.

The 24" parts will increase the fixture with around 5.0" increasing the width to 23.25" or 590mm. This will widen the center area to a little over 12.25". I measure the XR30 at 11.75".

I hope this helps.
At least this will let those of us with Mitras LX7's to mount them to the LED brackets instead of laying them on top. We would need 1 more inch to be able to mount them length wise. Maybe some day....

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I hope this helps.

Maybe been asked already but would you be able to use an already existing 24" and widen it with these brackets or is it a whole new unit that needs to be purchased?

Also, just curious on what folks are using for ceiling anchors for these? Plan on 24" unit with one radion XR30. Thanks!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe been asked already but would you be able to use an already existing 24" and widen it with these brackets or is it a whole new unit that needs to be purchased?

Also, just curious on what folks are using for ceiling anchors for these? Plan on 24" unit with one radion XR30. Thanks!
Its a kit to be used to modify an existing fixture.

I use a pair of eye hooks screwed into a ceiling joist. Then I use the supplied hanging assembly threaded through the eye.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its a kit to be used to modify an existing fixture.

I use a pair of eye hooks screwed into a ceiling joist. Then I use the supplied hanging assembly threaded through the eye.

Thanks. Would love to use a joist but one hook will not hit joist. It is going above 93 cube in corner so will be angled. I'd prefer not to angle the wires just to hit a joist.

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
We have on the way the following accessory option to be used with the existing fixtures.

16" end plates - this will allow you to flip the A360 bracket and the A160 brackets sideways and narrow the width of the fixture.
A160 brackets, same as the A360 but with 2.5" hole

24" end plates to expand to 23.25" width
24" LED brackets to bridge the center opening of the wider fixture, approximately 12.25" in the middle, this will allow some fixtures to be rotated 90° to run perpendicular to the T5's

When the parts are finally here I will setup a few of them on my fixture and post photos.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. Would love to use a joist but one hook will not hit joist. It is going above 93 cube in corner so will be angled. I'd prefer not to angle the wires just to hit a joist.
I ended up splicing in 2 new 2x4 joists in my attic to make it work where I wanted. Not much fun, but at least I know it will stay up.

Z3speed4me

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I know is... I just setup my fixture last night and it looks awesome.
(no T5's in it yet though as I'm waiting for the weekend to observe the lighting response and figure out my acclimation schedule)

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Personally, I used one of our other T-5 fixture hanging kits.

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/sunpower-t5-ati-powermodule-cable-hanging-kit.html

The toggle-bolt style suspension worked perfectly for my ceiling and made installation very easy. I have my tank angled in the corner as well, so this provided the flexibility I was looking for in choosing the mounting position.

Thanks Zack. I was up at BRS last week and should've just picked one up when I was there. Any particular size toggle bolt? I am dealing with finished ceiling basement as well.

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I ended up splicing in 2 new 2x4 joists in my attic to make it work where I wanted. Not much fun, but at least I know it will stay up.
Thanks. Wish I could but don't want to redo my basement ceiling again.

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The toggle-bolts the light came with worked fine. I had to drill about a 1/2" hole in the ceiling to fit it, but I think those are rated for up to 100lbs or something close, depending on your ceiling drywall thickness. With two, there should be no worry with one of these fixtures.

Last edited:

HairyGary

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The toggle-bolt the kit came with worked fine. I had to drill about a 1/2" hole in the ceiling to fit it, but I think those are rated for up to 100lbs or something close, depending on your ceiling drywall thickness. With two, there should be no worry with one of these fixtures.

Oh so the ATI kit includes the toggle bolts? Thanks!

Zack@BRS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, the ATI kit doesn't come with the toggle bolts. I think I used the ones from the hanging kit in the light fixture. I pieced the two together and they worked fine.

nashorn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my worst fears is lights falling into the tank.
I use 4 hanging wires instead of the 2. I know it's not needed but for my peace of mine.
Wife said what the heck but I told her it's always looked like that....lol

HenHouse

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know or have pictures of how the XR30 mounts in this fixture?

AquaticLifeProducts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
0   0   1
I have a few photos of the XR30 perpendicular to the T5's.

This will be with the new end plates and new LED brackets.
IMG_0814.JPG
IMG_0815.JPG
IMG_0817.JPG
IMG_0818.JPG

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back