New Tailspot Benny

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone!

As the title says. I added a Tailspot Blenny to my tank yesterday ( 20g Nuvo)

He is the only fish in the tank along with some coral and nassarius snails

I acclimated the fish for about an hour yesterday. I put him in and he immediately found a little cave to hide in.

He hasn't moved at all. Woke up this morning, came to check on him and he's still in the same hole.

I attempted to spot feed right infront of the entrance. Once yesterday, once today. I took some flakes, crushed them and sucked them into a pipette, turned off the flow and dropped the food in.

Anyone experienced with Tailspot Blennys ? Advice ? Words of encouragement? Lol

Hoping he adjust quickly. Would hate to lose him !

rirun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't worry and don't panic and overfeed. Fish will eat when they are ready. My TSB didn't leave it's hiding spot during QT for a week and it has been in my tank now for over a year. He does like to pick on my rocks more than eat prepared food.

I do find having a single fish in a tank is a bit stressful for the fish. Even when I QT, I always run a few through at a time.

OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the responses.

Guess I'm just worried about him lol. I know they need time to adjust but I was hoping it'd be a little quicker since he is alone but It makes sense that since there are no other dither fish around he might be apprehensive.

I'll skip feeding for a day or 2. Tanks on the newer side so definitely don't want to overfeed

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd keep offering food. He would probably be more apt to eat if he had other fish in there feeding... money see, monkey do. Mine was interested from the start and would come half way out of his hide when the other fish were eating but didn't fully emerge until day 3. Ironically, I just turned around and mine is out swimming around with 2 yellow tail damsels in his area of the tank.

OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys find to be the best food for these little guys ?

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you guys find to be the best food for these little guys ?
Mine eats frozen brine or mysis with spirulina... in between feedings he picks at the rocks. Ironically, the only place with algae in the tank is around his cave. You'd think that would be the cleanest spot in the whole tank.

OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome. Thanks

I have some brine shrimp that I use for my German Blue Rams in my planted tank. Think that would be ok to try ?

& the irony is hilarious

OP
OP
M

Methodzx860

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small update

Guess who's little head I just saw pop out in the front of the tank

All seems well !

melonheadorion

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
blennies generally hide through the day anyway, so you wont see them actively swimming when they have a place to hide/hang out. eventually, they will get more comfortable and venture out more. the blennies i have will come out, snag a bite to eat, nip off the rock, and go back to their hole. one of mine will go from one hole to the other randomly througgh the day, but you wont see them out and about like you would with most other fish. on the other hand, tailspots seem to like to stay out more than my bicolor does.

Back