New tailspot blenny discoloring and swimming erratically.

Unodostrace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had my tailspot in my tank for about 3 days. He’s eating fine and acclimating well but I’ve noticed about half of his body is a much lighter color than the rests of his upper body/head.

He also sometimes swims in a couple sharp loops and then settles down.

I know they’re goofy fish and can change their skin color when they’re stressed, I just want to make sure I’m not missing anything.
Parameters are
Salinity: 35ppt
Calcium:460
Mag:1400
Alk:10
PH: 8.2

No ammonia or phosphates. Nitrates are less than 1 or so.

1090CACF-EBB0-4870-BEE3-D684103EEA18.jpeg 2F38D99D-DB15-4B88-9313-85BC854D9665.jpeg CAF09035-7571-482E-BC2B-327138271309.jpeg

EmdeReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I
Wouldn’t worry, tailspots have lighter tail in general. As long as it’s eating and no flashing, no spots, wounds etc I wouldn’t think there’s anything wrong.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Fish is weakening and thinning. They generally eat food readily as well as algae.
Has it been eating? Im thinking internal parasite(s).

motortrendz

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tail spot is insane he flips and darts around then sits in one spot like hes worn out. When I first got him he dissapeared. 6 months later he shows up. Now he hangs out infront of the rocks all the time. Hope yours gets better.

OP
OP
Unodostrace

Unodostrace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is weakening and thinning. They generally eat food readily as well as algae.
Has it been eating? Im thinking internal parasite(s).
He’s eating prepared foods, flakes, pellets, frozen Mysis. No issues with eating.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see in the pics for sure. It could be something internal, it could also be flukes. Can you catch the fish? A FW dip would confirm or rule out flukes. I see a couple spots near head that could be fluke like, again pics aren't super clear.

OP
OP
Unodostrace

Unodostrace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's hard to see in the pics for sure. It could be something internal, it could also be flukes. Can you catch the fish? A FW dip would confirm or rule out flukes. I see a couple spots near head that could be fluke like, again pics aren't super clear.
I’ll see if I can get a more clear picture or nab him tonight. He’s a little wily dude.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He does not look good imo.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a sunken stomach or any indication of malnutrition.

And that pale coloration looks like a typical stress reaction to me - including the spots near the forehead. When stressed or wanting to 'hide', tail spots turn blotchy with parts of their body getting pale ... like a mottled camouflage effect. Some fish -- such as fang blennies -- exhibit a similar blotchy-pale effect when they sleep.

What surprises me is that it is still exhibiting such a stress reaction after 3 days in the tank. Typically it only lasts for a short period when they get spooked or stressed, then once they settle back down they become normal, vibrant brown again.

Are there any other fish in the tank. Anything picking on it or another fish that may be a competitor -- especially any other combtooth blennies? If there's an established competitor or potential 'enemy' present, it may still feel on edge.

Outside of that possibility, if it's active and eating well, I'd just keep an eye on for a few more days to see if it settles in.

Without seeing 100% clear signs of internal parsites (white stringy poop) or very definitive sign of flukes, taking precautionary treatment action that may not be necessary will cause more stress and may only aggrevate the issue rather than resolving it.

Just my two cents...

OP
OP
Unodostrace

Unodostrace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I would FW dip him and start feeding General Cure/Focus mixed with his food for 10 days minimum.
I’ll probably watch him through the night and if he looks worse tomorrow I’ll probably dip him and feed him.

Just soak flakes/pellets in a little water and general cure and let it dry?

OP
OP
Unodostrace

Unodostrace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see a sunken stomach or any indication of malnutrition.

And that pale coloration looks like a typical stress reaction to me - including the spots near the forehead. When stressed or wanting to 'hide', tail spots turn blotchy with parts of their body getting pale ... like a mottled camouflage effect. Some fish -- such as fang blennies -- exhibit a similar blotchy-pale effect when they sleep.

What surprises me is that it is still exhibiting such a stress reaction after 3 days in the tank. Typically it only lasts for a short period when they get spooked or stressed, then once they settle back down they become normal, vibrant brown again.

Are there any other fish in the tank. Anything picking on it or another fish that may be a competitor -- especially any other combtooth blennies? If there's an established competitor or potential 'enemy' present, it may still feel on edge.

Outside of that possibility, if it's active and eating well, I'd just keep an eye on for a few more days to see if it settles in.

Without seeing 100% clear signs of internal parsites (white stringy poop) or very definitive sign of flukes, taking precautionary treatment action that may not be necessary will cause more stress and may only aggrevate the issue rather than resolving it.

Just my two cents...
Thanks. This is good advice. There’s nothing stressing him out in the tank. The only other thing in it is a firefish that’s only out of his hole periodically. He is in a 10g in a higher traffic area so it may just be some growing pains to his new home.

OP
OP
Unodostrace

Unodostrace

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the advice guys. Unfortunately when I got home my hermits were disposing of his body. Whatever took him it moved pretty fast
:(.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back