New tang afraid to come outside

Pachiman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone.

I have a 90 US gallon tank with plenty of live rock that has been running for 6 months. 15 days ago I added a small Tomini Tang that I bought from my LFS, he was hidden inside some coral and was the only fish in the tank.

So I brought it home with me, did a drip acclimation for 4 hours just to be on the safe side and dropped it in my tank.

The fish is super healthy, no itch, doesn't seem to have anything concerning. I have seen him a couple of times picking on the live rock eating algae and I saw him poop twice now. But aside from that the little guy spends 24/7 hidden inside the live rock completely scared.

I dont have anything that might bully him: pair of clowns, a blenny, a peaceful small sixline wrasse, some anemones, lots of corals, 2 shrimps. I monitor him constantly and he was never bothered/threatened.

I had him for 15 days now and all my fish are scared for the first 4-5 days but then they start to swim in the tank, this guy never comes out of the live rock. I feed mine once or twice a day some good quality flakes/pellets and he doesn't come outside to eat. I drop the food near him as well and 0 reaction. I stay away from the tank as much as possible so I don't jump scare him as well.

So my question: Is this behavior normal for new tangs? Should I be worried? I have some bubble algae and some brown algae in the back of my tank and LR so I think he might be fine in the short term but I dont know if he is so stressed he might eventually pass out.

EDIT: All parameters are stable. Salinity 1.026, nitrate 20, 77 temperature, alcalinity 8.3

WallyTime7

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
He’s been there for 15 days, he’s obviously eating something.
watch for any non peak hour aggression from something if he comes out. Otherwise i would Say just be patient

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hey everyone.

I have a 90 US gallon tank with plenty of live rock that has been running for 6 months. 15 days ago I added a small Tomini Tang that I bought from my LFS, he was hidden inside some coral and was the only fish in the tank.

So I brought it home with me, did a drip acclimation for 4 hours just to be on the safe side and dropped it in my tank.

The fish is super healthy, no itch, doesn't seem to have anything concerning. I have seen him a couple of times picking on the live rock eating algae and I saw him poop twice now. But aside from that the little guy spends 24/7 hidden inside the live rock completely scared.

I dont have anything that might bully him: pair of clowns, a blenny, a peaceful small sixline wrasse, some anemones, lots of corals, 2 shrimps. I monitor him constantly and he was never bothered/threatened.

I had him for 15 days now and all my fish are scared for the first 4-5 days but then they start to swim in the tank, this guy never comes out of the live rock. I feed mine once or twice a day some good quality flakes/pellets and he doesn't come outside to eat. I drop the food near him as well and 0 reaction. I stay away from the tank as much as possible so I don't jump scare him as well.

So my question: Is this behavior normal for new tangs? Should I be worried? I have some bubble algae and some brown algae in the back of my tank and LR so I think he might be fine in the short term but I dont know if he is so stressed he might eventually pass out.

EDIT: All parameters are stable. Salinity 1.026, nitrate 20, 77 temperature, alcalinity 8.3
Having Many tangs, , , My tomini was the most bashful and it took a year and a half for it to stay out in the open. As it settles in, reduce white light and step back when you are feeding until it gets used to the hand that feeds it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Pachiman

Pachiman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He’s been there for 15 days, he’s obviously eating something.
watch for any non peak hour aggression from something if he comes out. Otherwise i would Say just be patient
Yes I've seen him pecking on the LR and 0 aggression from any of the fish/shrimp.

I am patient but just wanted to be sure he might have something or he is just not suitable for my tank.

Thanks.

Upvote 0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 113 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back