New Tang getting bullied?

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a zebramosa tang, and it was shipped in the cold, sent to wrong address, showed up sideways in bag. After 45 min of adding tank water he was upright and doing better, and eventually added to tank...... So disaster averted I thought.....

My supposedly very peaceful 6-8” Quoyi Parrotfish went after him immediately and took some good bites at him. I chased him off and it seems like he is backing off now, but is this a relationship that can’t happen? I googled everywhere and can’t find this type of aggression. Just “brand new fish” phenomenon? Should I start looking at a backup plan to rehome the tang? I really don’t want it to stress/die first day, as it got off to a bad start. Thoughts?

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a large trap, try and catch the parrot and leave him in there for a few days. Better option would be moving the parrot into a second temporary tank for a couple of weeks. then move him back but leave him in an acclimation box for a day or two before releasing him back to the tank. This will usually help with aggression and territorial issues. Depending on your rockwork, you can also rearrange the tank after taking the parrot out and this will make it seem like a new tank and he'll have to work out a new territory.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did turn the lights off shortly after this, but after the initial two snaps he took, he has completely ignored the new addition. I have off tomorrow so I will try to get an acclimation box, but I have a lot of rockwork and the Parrot is skittish and impossible to catch. I will look for a trap too.

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure on the compatibility of a parrotfish and a tang, but agree with above, I would put the tang in another tank and make sure it it healthy and at full strength and then introduce again. It sounds like its a pecking order thing, but I would like the tang to be at full strength to defend itself so the pecking order can be established.

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If he's ignoring the new fish, you'll probably be fine. Just keep an eye on them and perhaps feed nori on two clips on opposite ends of the tank if needed to keep aggression low.

I have found a large trap and patience can be your best friend with catching fish. When I have one I need to catch I'll put the trap box in the tank with the door off and leave it there for a day or two. I also hang it in the same area I feed at so the fish will see it and not be freaked out by it. Then I'll start putting food in it at feeding time and let them be comfortable swimming in and out of it. After a day or so I'll mount the door, put some food in and wait. Sooner or later my target will swim in and BAM trapped.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been feeding nori. I stopped when my Parrot only ate mysis and rods. I put a clip in for the tang. I will leave lights off and see what happens in the morning.

After he finally got upright!

C6D76E2C-328A-43B5-ABD8-F446C44CA716.jpeg

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven’t been feeding nori. I stopped when my Parrot only ate mysis and rods. I put a clip in for the tang. I will leave lights off and see what happens in the morning.

After he finally got upright!

C6D76E2C-328A-43B5-ABD8-F446C44CA716.jpeg
Is it a purple tang? I'm glad he's doing better!

fluidimagery

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had good luck using a mirror on one side of the tank to keep the aggressive fish busy until they calm down. It’s worked so far for an aggressive purple tang, mystery wrasse and Sohol tang. Left the mirror up for a day or two and took it down. All of my once aggressive fish have been in the tank together for over a year with no problems again. Good luck!

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The Parrot is largely an herbivore and definitely needs a regular supply of macro algae to feed on to ensure it stays healthy and hopefully doesn't start eating corals. The best live options are Ulva or Dragon's Breath for these and the Tang. You can also use the processed sheet nori, but I prefer to feed my tangs Julian Spring's Red Seaweed from Two Little Fishes. My reason for this is it's strips of dried whole seaweed that has not been ground up and processed then turned into square sheets. It tends to stay together much better than the other stuff and my tangs and foxface go nuts for it when I don't have any fresh macro from the sump to give them.

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IME you usually want to add a new fish at night, after lights go off or when theyre about to go. This reduces the new fish syndrome and helps give time to the new guy to acclimate a little. I'd keep monitoring, but do not take the risk for too long or you might end up killing the tang, as the parrots have strong teeth.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was added and lights immediately went off. They have been swimming right past each other now, with no aggression. But yeah..... my parrot has an impressive beak!

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was added and lights immediately went off. They have been swimming right past each other now, with no aggression. But yeah..... my parrot has an impressive beak!
Good to hear. I hope they have come to terms lol. He was probably showing whos the boss.

OP
OP
J

Jon Fishman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to hear. I hope they have come to terms lol. He was probably showing whos the boss.

It really was a “first encounter” couple quick snaps within the first 50 seconds of the tang swimming into the open, and then nothing........ but yeah..... it got my heart rate going!

CoralBuddy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It really was a “first encounter” couple quick snaps within the first 50 seconds of the tang swimming into the open, and then nothing........ but yeah..... it got my heart rate going!
Hahahaha thats good man. Glad your fishes are fine now.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 52 54.7%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 30 31.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back