New tang laying on side?? Help!

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just got a new yellow tang from Biota, and he’s not looking so good, he’s laying on his side and from what I can tell has no spots, he’s pretty small actually way smaller than I imagined lol but someone help! He seems to be breathing very fast I have him in one of those plastic things they use to catch fish at the fish store but submerged in the tank so he stays warm enough

00245B52-A63D-4012-A40E-923B1FD2F3EA.jpeg 4A1440B1-0332-4858-892F-E49F92544E8E.jpeg

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be in shock. I think a good amount of flow is your best option. Like in its own QT or bucket with good water movement. And obviously normal temps.
How did you acclimate it?

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might be in shock. I think a good amount of flow is your best option. Like in its own QT or bucket with good water movement. And obviously normal temps.
How did you acclimate it?
I floated in the bag and added a 1/2 cup of tank water every 10 minutes, I don’t have a QT tank but I do have some buckets

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not normal but not unusual. Acclimation may be the issue. Your process was a little vague. How long did you float the bag. . . How many cups did you add to the bag and did you verify salinity from the bag VS your tank salinity before release.
What did you do with the bag water ?
Turn the lights down for tonight and if possible add oxygen as simple as an air stone

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably ammonia burn on the gills in that case. What you did is the old school method that was effective for driving them home from LFS. Since online retail/ shipping became more popular the hobby has found that the ammonia in the bag accumulated during shipping becomes very toxic when exposed to air and they should be removed immediately. Best bet is to float closed bag to acclimate temp and then release it.
I still suggest getting more flow over it either way.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might be lacking in oxygen, I would put an airstone in with it. It would actually be preferable if the box you have it in got flow from the tank because ammonia is going to start building up in the box. Maybe lower it so the water line from the tank is a half inch above the top of the box so it get some flow from the tank?

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not normal but not unusual. Acclimation may be the issue. Your process was a little vague. How long did you float the bag. . . How many cups did you add to the bag and did you verify salinity from the bag VS your tank salinity before release.
What did you do with the bag water ?
Turn the lights down for tonight and if possible add oxygen as simple as an air stone
I floated the bag for about 30 minutes witb the lights off and turned some lights on outside the tank and then I opened the bag and poured him into the little container then added 1/2 cup of tank water probably about 15 times

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it might be lacking in oxygen, I would put an airstone in with it. It would actually be preferable if the box you have it in got flow from the tank because ammonia is going to start building up in the box. Maybe lower it so the water line from the tank is a half inch above the top of the box so it get some flow from the tank?
Terrible news, he swam into the tank after I did it and is now sitting at the bottom

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I floated the bag for about 30 minutes witb the lights off and turned some lights on outside the tank and then I opened the bag and poured him into the little container then added 1/2 cup of tank water probably about 15 times
Do you know what salinity of bag water was? May be osmotic shock from salinity imbalance

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I floated in the bag and added a 1/2 cup of tank water every 10 minutes, I don’t have a QT tank but I do have some buckets
If you have buckets, you have a QT tank. It doesn't have to be pretty. Just be sure you have a heater to keep temp stable and a good pump for circulation.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have buckets, you have a QT tank. It doesn't have to be pretty. Just be sure you have a heater to keep temp stable and a good pump for circulation.
This.
Emphasis on the circulation, the only way I’ve ever recovered a fish from shock is good circulation.
For next time your order online, definitely do not drip acclimate or the float/ add water method. Best to have a small QT tank or bucket at a lower salinity so you can float the closed bag to match temps and dump the fish in without concern to osmotic shock

OP
OP
jonleeroyix

jonleeroyix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This.
Emphasis on the circulation, the only way I’ve ever recovered a fish from shock is good circulation.
For next time your order online, definitely do not drip acclimate or the float/ add water method. Best to have a small QT tank or bucket at a lower salinity so you can float the closed bag to match temps and dump the fish in without concern to osmotic shock
So is there no recovery for osmotic shock?

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @DanTheReefer on his first post that dripping or acclimating fish that are shipped is generally not a good idea. I slowly acclimate fish including ones not bought at my lfs, but I add prime to the bag to make the ammonia non-toxic during the process. I do have to make sure that there isn't copper in the water they're shipped in.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with @DanTheReefer on his first post that dripping or acclimating fish that are shipped is generally not a good idea. I slowly acclimate fish including ones not bought at my lfs, but I add prime to the bag to make the ammonia non-toxic during the process. I do have to make sure that there isn't copper in the water they're shipped in.
This is smart. I didn't think of adding Prime to the bag before. Thanks for posting this.

DanTheReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great plug on the mention of copper here. The usage seems so widespread it’s tough to not assume it could be in there - and likely not enough time to test for it before we’re dealing with ammonia issues

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.0%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 46 34.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 43 32.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back