New Tank Algae Bloom!

JamisonTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nearing the end of new tank cycle. Have a massive green algae bloom. Wondering what is the best way to combat this before it gets worse than it is? Doing weekly 20% water changes. Any help or advise is welcome.

This is in a Fluval Evo 13.5 !

IMG_1547.JPG

IMG_1548.JPG

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally don't prescribe it, but vibrant aquarium cleaner.
Kills algae.

Weird. I wonder how that was introduced to your system.

OP
OP
JamisonTX

JamisonTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I was told on another facebook group hydrogen peroxide in small doses helps...? Any thoughts on this? My LFS guy told me this is due to my tank nearing the end of the cycle...but it has gotten much worse and I am wanting to get it to more manageable place. Clean up crew ideas?

Heather w

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply! I was told on another facebook group hydrogen peroxide in small doses helps...? Any thoughts on this? My LFS guy told me this is due to my tank nearing the end of the cycle...but it has gotten much worse and I am wanting to get it to more manageable place. Clean up crew ideas?
Hydrogen peroxide and Vibrant are both going to work. Do not introduce any "algae killers" at this point tho. Something tells me that would be regrettable and if you have a skimmer it would be a pain in the butt. Most foam like crazy! Seems like forever. I finely had to take mine out and run it in a bucket in my sink at a 10/1 bleach mix for several hours. Then rinse in clear water for hours. If you have a refugium with your good green algae it will kill it too. If you don't now when you do remember that. I made this mistake once. Took WEEKS to recover.

OP
OP
JamisonTX

JamisonTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide and Vibrant are both going to work. Do not introduce any "algae killers" at this point tho. Something tells me that would be regrettable and if you have a skimmer it would be a pain in the ***. Most foam like crazy! Seems like forever. I finely had to take mine out and run it in a bucket in my sink at a 10/1 bleach mix for several hours. Then rinse in clear water for hours. If you have a refugium with your good green algae it will kill it too. If you don't now when you do remember that. I made this mistake once. Took WEEKS to recover.

Thanks for the reply! I have a fluval nano skimmer, but TBH I still am trying to figure out how to fine tune that thing. It seems to me like these two products might be best for what is going on my tank. Would this be considered turf algae? I also have what I THINK to be hair algae, not sure. I don't have a refugium, I have read about these and still don't feel I know enough to set one up in my sump just yet, especially since Im working with limited space. Any thoughts on a clean up crew?

OP
OP
JamisonTX

JamisonTX

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I generally don't prescribe it, but vibrant aquarium cleaner.
Kills algae.

Weird. I wonder how that was introduced to your system.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hydrogen peroxide and Vibrant are both going to work. Do not introduce any "algae killers" at this point tho. Something tells me that would be regrettable and if you have a skimmer it would be a pain in the ***. Most foam like crazy! Seems like forever. I finely had to take mine out and run it in a bucket in my sink at a 10/1 bleach mix for several hours. Then rinse in clear water for hours. If you have a refugium with your good green algae it will kill it too. If you don't now when you do remember that. I made this mistake once. Took WEEKS to recover.
Eh. Peroxide is kids akin to bleach sort of. Long chemical explanation.

Vibrant is easy to use and has instructions.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had that in my tank when I first started, not sure what it was but a couple hermits wiped it out in a couple days, no chemicals needed Though I might have gotten lucky with my guys, I've heard it can be hit or miss with some CUC

harryball69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tanks young. more flow may help some also. looks like u hav some cano in u sand. cut back on any nutrients that may b helping feed the stuff.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 50 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back