New Tank Algae Question

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new 100g tank has been wet for about 2.5 months now. I used some pieces of live rock from my fully cycled FOWLR tank as well as Dr. Tim’s to make sure I had a proper cycle. I thought this algae all over the rocks was just part of the establishment process but now I’m worried that it might be more of a nuisance than I realized. All parameters have been okay for about a month and I added a few frags last week to see if the tank was ready to support coral. They look okay but not thriving.

Is this something to be worried about?

E4A12582-1D0B-48CA-83E3-27BDDF18B3A2.jpeg
7EA20CFB-C203-49A5-8E0D-C0AB21FC5F0B.jpeg
365D5237-B3CB-4CAA-9DC0-FAB855056DD7.jpeg

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor. I wouldnt be worried about it just yet, it looks like a part of the ugly phase. Do you have any snails in there yet? It looks like something a few turbo snails would demolish. Does it blow off easily or is more rooted in there?

Have a full tank shot? The aquascape looks interesting.

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my recent tank had the same look (after the cyano). It has nearly all gone now and coralline has arrived. I’d not worry and put it down to the ugly stage. What CUC have you got?

I raised my alk to 9dKH and it seemed to slowly disappear and coralline started to arrive. (Possible coincidence??)

what are your parameters may I ask?

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey neighbor. I wouldnt be worried about it just yet, it looks like a part of the ugly phase. Do you have any snails in there yet? It looks like something a few turbo snails would demolish. Does it blow off easily or is more rooted in there?

Have a full tank shot? The aquascape looks interesting.
Okay, thanks.. that’s what I was thinking but good to hear confirmation. My nitrates and phosphates have been stuck at zero since I added the frag pack so I was getting worried that the algae might be out competing and driving nutrients down.

I’ve had a CUC in there for about a month now and they help with the glass but haven’t really made a dent in the stuff on the rocks. It’s well rooted in there. I haven’t tried scrubbing it yet but blowing on it as hard as possible with Julians thing doesn’t do anything to it. It also completely covered the shells of the snails.

Here’s a recent FTS. A few more older ones in my build thread
90D60E84-7ECF-46B2-81D9-4EE8DFA22208.jpeg

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my recent tank had the same look (after the cyano). It has nearly all gone now and coralline has arrived. I’d not worry and put it down to the ugly stage. What CUC have you got?

I raised my alk to 9dKH and it seemed to slowly disappear and coralline started to arrive. (Possible coincidence??)

what are your parameters may I ask?
Great, that’s definitely good to hear... I have about 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 3 astrea snails, ~8 of the little white legged crabs, and ~8 little narsssisus snails. I was thinking an emerald crab might help clean some of this up but need to do some more research.

Alk has been between between 8.6 and 9.3 for weeks. Calcium dipped down to about 350 for a few days earlier this week but has been around 450 otherwise. Mag ~1400. Nitrates were 10-15 towards the end of the cycle but has now been stuck at zero for a couple of weeks which has me worried for the frags that I added.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be eating up your nitrate since there is so much of it. Maybe consider getting a toothbrush and start working at it prior to water changes. What kind, and how many snails do you have in there?

Edit: You posted as I was replying. Pick up a few turbo snails and keep them on the rocks. Like if you see them on the glass just pull them off and put them back on the rocks. See if that helps.

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could definitely be eating up your nitrate since there is so much of it. Maybe consider getting a toothbrush and start working at it prior to water changes. What kind, and how many snails do you have in there?
Good call on the toothbrush.. it’d make me happy to see it gone even if it comes right back. I have about 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 3 astrea snails, ~8 of the little white legged crabs, and ~8 small narsssisus snails. I was thinking an emerald crab might help clean some of this up but need to do some more research.

I’m planning to do pax bellum + CARx but didn’t think I’d need it so soon. Maybe time to go ahead and get the reactor?

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt bother with the emerald for now, when it comes to that kind of algae nothing works as hard as the larger snails. Not to mention crabs have a chance of going rogue when hungry and could find some of your corals tasty. Same thing for shrimp, I won't get them anymore after some bad experiences with peppermint shrimp.

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldnt bother with the emerald for now, when it comes to that kind of algae nothing works as hard as the larger snails. Not to mention crabs have a chance of going rogue when hungry and could find some of your corals tasty. Same thing for shrimp, I won't get them anymore after some bad experiences with peppermint shrimp.
Makes sense. I was definitely planning to hold off on the shrimp until I know there’s enough going on with the livestock to keep them happy. I’ll try to scrub it off and ifI see it coming back I’ll get some turbos ASAP.

Are you buying livestock local right now? I’m in SoHo and my close LFS closed (I think for good). I’ve had some really bad experiences with Manhattan Aquariums recently so just wondering if there’s anywhere else around that’s worthwhile or if I should just rely on the internet.

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow man, I'm reading your build thread. First post so far... crazy.

Come out to staten island, @Pieces of the Ocean is a fantastic LFS.
Ha, yeah it’s definitely not your typical NYC apartment AIO build but it’s been a really fun quarantine project. I need to post an update soon but there hasn’t been much going on aside from hosting this algae farm.

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll try to make it down there in the next couple of weeks to check it out.

Rjukan

Day Dreamer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't for Covid I would offer to pick you up at the ferry and take a ride to POTO. There is another LFS otw that was looking pretty good the last time I was there, but that was towards the end of last year. I'm in a restocking phase myself, so I'm always down to take a look at what's available.

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great, that’s definitely good to hear... I have about 10 scarlet hermit crabs, 3 astrea snails, ~8 of the little white legged crabs, and ~8 little narsssisus snails. I was thinking an emerald crab might help clean some of this up but need to do some more research.

Alk has been between between 8.6 and 9.3 for weeks. Calcium dipped down to about 350 for a few days earlier this week but has been around 450 otherwise. Mag ~1400. Nitrates were 10-15 towards the end of the cycle but has now been stuck at zero for a couple of weeks which has me worried for the frags that I added.
Very similar to me.. I used a tooth brush and scrubbed the rocks twice a week also.. that might help you. My nitrate has started to raise up again to a steady 2.

However I wouldn’t worry too much. I believe it’s just part of the ugly stage.

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it wasn't for Covid I would offer to pick you up at the ferry and take a ride to POTO. There is another LFS otw that was looking pretty good the last time I was there, but that was towards the end of last year. I'm in a restocking phase myself, so I'm always down to take a look at what's available.
Nice, hopefully soon I’ll be able to take you up on that. I have a lot of stocking to do so plenty of time yet

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar to me.. I used a tooth brush and scrubbed the rocks twice a week also.. that might help you. My nitrate has started to raise up again to a steady 2.

However I wouldn’t worry too much. I believe it’s just part of the ugly stage.
I spent about an hour and half scrubbing away with a toothbrush last night and halfway through the day (only about 4 hours of lights on) and it’s back! I’d estimate ~25% has already grown back... My frags look MUCH happier already though so I’m going to keep doing it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference in my levels.

Thanks!

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like your scape a lot. Will look nice all filled in later
Thanks! I hope so. I tried to work in a bunch of different levels and hideaways from flow to support an SPS heavy mixed reef eventually. I’m now a little worried that the top shelf might be too high in the water column but I think I’ll just have maintain a nicely manicured acro garden up there... nothing wrong with that I guess!

Jim8o

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent about an hour and half scrubbing away with a toothbrush last night and halfway through the day (only about 4 hours of lights on) and it’s back! I’d estimate ~25% has already grown back... My frags look MUCH happier already though so I’m going to keep doing it for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference in my levels.

Thanks!
Keep us posted and keep scrubbing

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Makes sense. I was definitely planning to hold off on the shrimp until I know there’s enough going on with the livestock to keep them happy. I’ll try to scrub it off and ifI see it coming back I’ll get some turbos ASAP.

Are you buying livestock local right now? I’m in SoHo and my close LFS closed (I think for good). I’ve had some really bad experiences with Manhattan Aquariums recently so just wondering if there’s anywhere else around that’s worthwhile or if I should just rely on the internet.

If you are willing to haggle a little, House of Fins in Greenwich is the best place around. quick by car or you can take Metronorth, its a 10 min walk from the Greenwich station.

Have you checked out Pacific?

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to haggle a little, House of Fins in Greenwich is the best place around. quick by car or you can take Metronorth, its a 10 min walk from the Greenwich station.

Have you checked out Pacific?
Awesome! I’ll add it to the list of places to check out. Don’t have a car but I’ve done that train many times and don’t mind it.

I’ve only tried manhattan aquariums and this place on Delancey in LES (good frags but small selection of fish - 10 minute walk for me so really convenient). What’s pacific?!

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 14 77.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 22.2%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.1%
Back