New Tank Algae Question

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome! I’ll add it to the list of places to check out. Don’t have a car but I’ve done that train many times and don’t mind it.

I’ve only tried manhattan aquariums and this place on Delancey in LES (good frags but small selection of fish - 10 minute walk for me so really convenient). What’s pacific?!

That's Pacific haha, in Chinatown. True, they never have many fish but its always so affordable compared to most places.

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's Pacific haha, in Chinatown. True, they never have many fish but its always so affordable compared to most places.
Ah, okay. Yeah Pacific was my go-to spot for the basics pre-COVID and they’ve reopened so I dropped by last week for some food. They have some nice looking frags and the fish they do have usually look healthy. It’s really convenient to have the essentials close like that but will probably have to venture out a little further or resort to online for stocking up my new tank

OP
OP
Andrew_NYC_Reef

Andrew_NYC_Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
By way of update - I scrubbed the algae twice and coralline started popping up within 24 hours. More and more is noticeable every day. Pretty crazy how much of a difference it made. The other algae came back quite a bit over the weekend so I’m going to keep scrubbing it away as I have time. Hoping the coralline will continue coming quickly if I keep my parameters in line
927C9323-0930-4A24-B53C-FD53DC53BEBC.jpeg

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I called around over the weekend and couldn’t find anywhere that had turbos nearby but will keep looking. Until then I’ll keep at it with my toothbrush every few days

They're out of season. There are a lot of other snail options you can get besides Turbos.

afishbestservedcold

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks - I called around over the weekend and couldn’t find anywhere that had turbos nearby but will keep looking. Until then I’ll keep at it with my toothbrush every few days

If you can make the trip, House of Fins has plenty of Turbos, Astreas, Ceriths...and a few more omnivorous/carnivorous snails. I think they're still open til 7pm in COVID but maybe call before you go

michaelmessinaglass

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, my recent tank had the same look (after the cyano). It has nearly all gone now and coralline has arrived. I’d not worry and put it down to the ugly stage. What CUC have you got?

I raised my alk to 9dKH and it seemed to slowly disappear and coralline started to arrive. (Possible coincidence??)

what are your parameters may I ask?
what did you use to raise your alk and how much? im in a similar size setup and want to get my alk to 9

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back