New tank algae

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old tank has single digit nitrates and zero phosphates. At this point everything looks good except for a brownish “dusting“ of what I suspect are diatoms. It’s very sparse on the gravel but I’ve needed to clean the glass every 3 days or so. Other than establishing a healthy pod population is there anything else I should be doing? I’ve ordered a microscope and am curious if there’s a site to help me identify what I’m going to be looking at. Thanks in advance.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to get worse and is all normal when using dry rock. Manage parameters, remove what you can. Dosing live phyto will be all around beneficial.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your CuC is lacking check out reefcleaners.org

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's going to get worse and is all normal when using dry rock. Manage parameters, remove what you can. Dosing live phyto will be all around beneficial.
What do you mean by “ manage parameters “? Some posts have me paranoid now about my zero phosphates. Is dosing phosphate something I need to get involved with at this point? Seems counterintuitive to me.

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you mean by “ manage parameters “? Some posts have me paranoid now about my zero phosphates. Is dosing phosphate something I need to get involved with at this point? Seems counterintuitive to me.
What test kits are you using? Keep in mind that algae is consuming phosphate in your system also. Have some pics of the tank in white lighting?

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kits are you using? Keep in mind that algae is consuming phosphate in your system also. Have some pics of the tank in white lighting?
Hanna HR Nitrate, ULR Phosphate

Attachments

• F1F26DCB-CEF3-4A68-BC7F-FE2DACC24687.jpeg
    F1F26DCB-CEF3-4A68-BC7F-FE2DACC24687.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 38

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip a water change or dose. Don't want dinos

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Skip a water change or dose. Don't want dinos
I haven’t even started water changes yet. Don’t know anything about “dosing”. I assume you are referring to phosphates? What product do I use?

ABQ_CHRIS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that no water changes are needed for now. You can vacuum the diatoms through a felt filter sock into a bucket and then put the water back.

I don't know how common dinos are in new tanks?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My 2 month old tank has single digit nitrates and zero phosphates. At this point everything looks good except for a brownish “dusting“ of what I suspect are diatoms. It’s very sparse on the gravel but I’ve needed to clean the glass every 3 days or so. Other than establishing a healthy pod population is there anything else I should be doing? I’ve ordered a microscope and am curious if there’s a site to help me identify what I’m going to be looking at. Thanks in advance.
Leave your lights off the first 4 months until your tank builds biodiversity.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can fish eat in the dark? Will there be anything to eat off of the substrate for my snails?
Fish don't need light. Corals do though. If you give your tank time to build biodiversity and microfauna then your ugly phases will be much more manageable.

OP
OP
T

TWYOUNG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish don't need light. Corals do though. If you give your tank time to build biodiversity and microfauna then your ugly phases will be much more manageable.
Is it possible you‘re just putting off whatever algae cycles the tank is going to go through until four months down the road?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible you‘re just putting off whatever algae cycles the tank is going to go through until four months down the road?
Yes however if your tank is more stable with more biodiversity and microfauna then your ugly phases are more manageable and not prolonged. Unless you started your tank with real ocean rock.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 33 34.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 9.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 5.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 25 26.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.2%
Back