New Tank and Mixing Salt

dbowman5

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just looked online at these brutes, would they easily resell after? I'd definitely keep one of them but I would need at least 3 to fill the tank in one day.
brute is a brand name and very heavy duty. i realized that one of the reasons for that is all of the hauling around that trash cans are subjected to. in my case i just needed something that would sit there and hold water. my son was getting married and i needed to supply some cans to hold recyclables so i bought two
you might be able to use these like i did after for holding water.
much cheaper but functional.
Hyper Tough 32 Gallon Injection Molded Recycling Trash Can - Blue
Average Rating:
out of 5 stars43 ratings, based on43reviews
Write a review
HyperTough
Walmart # 569867301
$12.88$12.88

IMG_1708.jpeg

Perthegallon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt for my Fluval EVO, although I had speculated this was the cause of my almost permanent algae outbreak that I just can't shift, so I may change salts and see how I get along with something else, thank you!
I used Red Sea for a while to and had the same issue and it was always so high in alk and calc compared to this

ReefDude716

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on having Acropora coral do not get Red Sea coral pro salt the all levels are way to high. Get the blue bucket regular Red Sea salt. Buy three containers of alk ca and mg to supplement when mixing. For instance the calcium is around 400 mg1220 and all 7.8. So for standard mix reef you would want 450 ca 1350mg and 8.5 all. So you would add a little of powder each. There’s a Red Sea calculator Where you can punch in the numbers and it will tell you how much to use. Otherwise you could also just mix Red Sea coral pro salt(Black) with the blue Red Sea bucket to split the diff. I have 50 gallons of volume so I change 5gallon. Weekly and I use like 20grams mg
1 gram ca And like .5 grams alk when I mix the salt. It’s a tiny extra work but well worth the results

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's nothing wrong with taking a couple days to fill the tank on first fill. I have 3 42 gallon brutes. One for rodi water one for saltwater. The third is set aside for saltwater if I have to do a large Emergency water change. I'd keep two brutes minimum, if you're making your own rodi water.
Thanks for letting me know, I'll just have to find somewhere to keep them.

OP
OP
ilott

ilott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you plan on having Acropora coral do not get Red Sea coral pro salt the all levels are way to high. Get the blue bucket regular Red Sea salt. Buy three containers of alk ca and mg to supplement when mixing. For instance the calcium is around 400 mg1220 and all 7.8. So for standard mix reef you would want 450 ca 1350mg and 8.5 all. So you would add a little of powder each. There’s a Red Sea calculator Where you can punch in the numbers and it will tell you how much to use. Otherwise you could also just mix Red Sea coral pro salt(Black) with the blue Red Sea bucket to split the diff. I have 50 gallons of volume so I change 5gallon. Weekly and I use like 20grams mg
1 gram ca And like .5 grams alk when I mix the salt. It’s a tiny extra work but well worth the results
This is super helpful! Thank you

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 35 34.3%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 28 27.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back