New tank and new to salt

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, I’m new to salt water. I have a 72 gallon bow front, 20 something gallon sump, skimmer and decent lighting. The tank is not drilled yet. The kit to drill it and overflow box should be here tomorrow. I’m getting 80 lbs of dry rock from a friend This weekend. So, my question is, should I put the dry rock in a tub with a few pieces of live rock and circulate for a month or two. Or, setup the tank with live sand, dry rock and a few pieces of live rock and let it start its cycle?

Brandon3152134

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set it up in the tank just dont add fish until its cycled. The way your doing it is the way I do it. Make sure to put the rock in before the sand. Rinse the dry rock thoroughly with a hose and let it drip out overnight. With dry rock you can take your time setting up the rock work because there is nothing alive on it.

scabbedwings616

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
giphy.gif

I would set the tank up with dry rock and live sand. Nothing else and wait 2 months to add any fish. Ghost feed and go from there

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank y’all. I’ve tried researching a lot before jumping into. I’m excited about getting it started. And I’m not going to rush it. The return pump I have that was given to me is only about 500 gph. I’m still in the process of getting the correct return pump and I still have to drill and plumbed the tank, and need to purchase an RO unit.

OP
OP
cronerw2007

cronerw2007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey welcome you are in the right place
Thank you. I’m still trying to get everything else I need before I set it all up. I’ve read through a lot of the previous posts and there’s a lot of great information here. Hopefully it all comes together soon and I can get it started.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back