New tank, any advice?

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an 85 gallon cube, 80 pounds of live sand, and I forgot to weight the rock before putting it in but I'm pretty sure its close to 75 pounds. It is 4 months old, and Coralie algea is finally starting I have purple and green. I have 2 pearly jawfish, 1 bi color blenny, 1 bangi cardinal fish,1 blue green chromis, 2 Carmel Nemo clowns, 1 helfrichi firefish, 1 sand sifting star fish, 3 peppermint shrimp, 2 skunk cleaner shrimp, 6 blue legged hermit crabs, 6 scarlet hermit crabs, 1 emerald crab, 1 halloween hermit crab, 3 turbo snails, 5 nassurase snails, 5 ceirth snails, 1 astrea snail, 3 bumble bee snails, 2 spiny star snails, and 1 feather duster that got torn apart by the peppermint shrimp, however it got back in its casing and may recover, at least I truly hope so. Then the coral I have is a 4 inch frag of green star polyps, green psammocora frag, kryptonite candy cane coral, dragon soul favia frag, rainbow clove frag, alien eye polyp, cherry pie polyp, purple and teal maze frag as well. Everyone seems to be doing well except my two pearly jawfish they occasionally get territorial over the same cave so they are slightly stressed atm but everyone has been settling in good now. I had a slight bloom because I cleaned my filter to good, but I used stability to help the fishes. My favorite fish are my blenny spike, my jawfish pearly and barb, and the helfrichi violet. I really enjoy the look of them, and my favorite of my fresh water fish are my loaches nessy and wetherbee. Is there any animal you could suggest, I've been looking at some anthias they are beautiful and some wrasse but I have to research more. Also should I amp up my clean up crew ? I've been thinking of getting 5 more blue green chromis as well just nervous... any advice is great readings are ph 7.8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 10-15, calcium 480, phosphate 1, dkh 10, sg 1.024. I'm currently using a jay hill light from Amazon, but I am upgrading to the viparspectra from Amazon once my father in law can get over to put it up. Lights are on for 12 hours a day. And I will add photos. I think the green on the rocks is coraline what is everyone else's thoughts? Also I have some purple coraline i think pictures attached. And I am using internal filters, I like them but I know a lot of people don't... ps not planning on adding anything until spring

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20210106_145319.jpg

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What are you doing for filtration? I'm not really seeing much of anything.

I would take it easy on the fish load with that setup to be honest. Nice start though for sure.

Blue Green Chromis will eventually pick eachother off, one by one. They also can carry disease pretty easily, so I would suggest not going that route.

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think we are going to stay at the one blue green chromis, do you think I'm over stocked ?

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I think we are going to stay at the one blue green chromis, do you think I'm over stocked ?

No I don't think you are overstocked, but with the lack of filtration, protein skimmer, etc I would keep the load light so you don't run into nutrient issues once your tank matures a little more.

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good, i didn't think I was lacking filtration though, I know im lacking the protein skimmer, how much more filtration should I have ?

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And what issues could I run into once it matures more ?

Algae issues. Are you testing your nitrates and phosphates? More regular water changes would help with a setup like that as well as regular cleaning and replacement of those filters. They'll collect a lot of waste overtime.

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes parameters are ph 7.8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 10-15, calcium 480, phosphate 1, dkh 10, sg 1.024, I change 15 to 20 gallons a week, each filter gets cleaned on opposite weeks. I test water weekly. I added more live rock to get the ph up you can see it in the picture, but I may add more

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes parameters are ph 7.8, nitrite 0, ammonia 0, nitrate 10-15, calcium 480, phosphate 1, dkh 10, sg 1.024, I change 15 to 20 gallons a week, each filter gets cleaned on opposite weeks. I test water weekly. I added more live rock to get the ph up you can see it in the picture, but I may add more
Phosphate 1 or .1?

Fairly good parameters, keep it up. Not a huge issue, but I'd raise your salinity to 1.025.

PH is low, not sure the increased amount of rock is going to work for raising the PH. I would recommend adding a nice quality HOB protein skimmer at some point. What are you testing your PH with?

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Api test kit, and yes I was going to try and research protein skimmers at some point. The phosphate is at 1 ppm however I thinking its sitting between 0.5-1ppm but I am preparing for a water change. May i ask why raise salinity to 1.025 ? Is there a benefit to a higher salinity? Yes the ph is slightly low but stable trying to to increase it

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice setup so far. If you have the money get this filter,

KollerCraft TOM RP90 Rapids Pro Filter with UV Sterilizer for Aquariums​

I am still using the UV, pump and 2 overflows for my 75 gallon. Great little filter. $200 on Amazon.

Attachments

• KollerCraft.jpg
    KollerCraft.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 32

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank! That is going to look even more amazing full of coral :) I agree with the above comments, and would also point out that it looks like cyano, not purple coraline in post #3. Not a huge deal yet but it will probably go crazy with a po4 of 1. Just remember patience and consistency and your tank will be beautiful.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back