New tank, any advice?

anthonygf

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you ill look into that filter I've been looking into a uv sterilizer
This is in a way like the old style trickle filters, I was very happy with this filter until I upgraded to a larger sump when I first had this on my 46 gallon bowfront. Upgraded to 75 gallon and sump with higher flow sump pump. I now use 2 of the overflows and of course the UV part of RapidsPro with the built in pump and ball valve to control flow through UV.

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grab a turkey baster or syringe, if you can blow it off, it is cyano (or algea or dino, but yours is most likely cyano). Coraline you will have a hard time even trying scraping it off.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.0 phosphate is really high. I would back off on how much you feed. What are you feeding with? Pellets and Flake tend to have more phosphates than say frozen mysis.

1.025 to 1.0265 (35ppt) is what you should be shooting for.

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't realise, I will get 20 gallons ready for a water change tomorrow. I feed a little flake food, with frozen dried brine shrimp, and some shrimp pellets 3 times a day, however I do often over feed. I'll get some water changes going what should I aim for phosphate wise, 0? And I will slowly raise salinity but do you know why 1.025 to 1.0265 is better does it help the fish keep pest away?

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I do my water change tomorrow ill let you guys know if it was coraline, I really want it to be lol

OP
OP
S

Swampriss

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also forgot phyto pheast 1 tbsp every other day and reef roids every 2 weeks like 1/2 a table spoon

Red_Beard

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't realise, I will get 20 gallons ready for a water change tomorrow. I feed a little flake food, with frozen dried brine shrimp, and some shrimp pellets 3 times a day, however I do often over feed. I'll get some water changes going what should I aim for phosphate wise, 0? And I will slowly raise salinity but do you know why 1.025 to 1.0265 is better does it help the fish keep pest away?
Good call on the water change. I am not sure what exactly you should aim for, just not 0. Id say measurable but less than .5 ish. 0 po4 creates an environment where dinoflagellates are able to out compete other organisms and become a problem. It also starves your corals as they need phosphate too to thrive and be healthy. There are a ton of articles here about nutrient levels and what they should be and why and quite a few different opinions. I would say look into it but dont make yourself crazy chasing numbers. More than 0 and less than so much your tank explodes with algea is the sweet spot lol.

ReeferBean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

No not zero. I keep my tank around .1, but others prefer lower.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 145 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back