New tank aquascape

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Setting up my first reef tank since I was a teenager (awhile ago . . .) -- it's a Red Sea E-170 Max. Would appreciate any thoughts on the aquascape. I tried to take photos from a few angles. Thanks so much!

IMG_2837.jpg IMG_2838.jpg IMG_2839.jpg

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank! I think it looks great would just make sure you can fit a scraper for your glass between that small rock on the right.

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how many lbs of rock did you use ? Have the same setup and trying it estimate how much rock to get ?

OP
OP
M

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About how many lbs of rock did you use ? Have the same setup and trying it estimate how much rock to get ?
I got a 55lb box of real reef mixed rock, which honestly seemed like too much — a decent amount left in the box. I think I could have gotten away with 40. Good luck!

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 55lb box of real reef mixed rock, which honestly seemed like too much — a decent amount left in the box. I think I could have gotten away with 40. Good luck!
Where did you order from

Rincon_Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Looks like you got the rocks down below the sand, which comes in handy. Did you use carib sea? I used similar looking rock and that's what it was. Only input would be to move what looks to be a free floating rock up into the corner so you have some clearance between the glass. Nice work!

OP
OP
M

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where did you order from
BRS I think? Or marine depot—I think one (or both) was having a Black Friday sale when I ordered. I just got a box of the mixed sized pieces, which was easy, but fwiw I think I’d probably get a smaller box of mixed pieces and then some of the shelves or other shapes for some variety. I took to the box I got with a hammer to get different sized pieces, but I am neither artistic nor handy enough to manipulate the rocks beyond breaking them up and then gluing big chunks together.

OP
OP
M

MKS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks great! Looks like you got the rocks down below the sand, which comes in handy. Did you use carib sea? I used similar looking rock and that's what it was. Only input would be to move what looks to be a free floating rock up into the corner so you have some clearance between the glass. Nice work!
Thanks! I used real reef rock, which I think looks similar to the Carib sea. After filling it up a few of the smaller rocks have moved a skosh to accommodate cleaning.

Victor8923

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS I think? Or marine depot—I think one (or both) was having a Black Friday sale when I ordered. I just got a box of the mixed sized pieces, which was easy, but fwiw I think I’d probably get a smaller box of mixed pieces and then some of the shelves or other shapes for some variety. I took to the box I got with a hammer to get different sized pieces, but I am neither artistic nor handy enough to manipulate the rocks beyond breaking them up and then gluing big chunks together.
Did you super glue?

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 12 9.2%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 44 33.8%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 41 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 23.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back