New tank bloom

Chiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does the lighting effect a bacteria bloom? Is it worth turning them off until it clears up?

So the tank has been set up a couple of weeks with live rock. I have been adding microbactor 7 for nearly a week but now I've stopped because I'm experiencing a fairly heavy bacteria bloom to the point where I cannot see the back of the tank.

I'm running the skimmer without the cup off and letting it overflow to help oxygenate the water and I also have an airstone going in the sump. I'm running a filter sock in the sump and as the tank is new there's very little detritus build up. I also have a bag of carbon in the sump.

I have some fish, cuc and a couple of frags that seem quite happy in there at the moment.

Ideally I would like it to run its course rather than installing a UV - I would only do this as a last ditch effort to clear it.

Parameters
NH4 has risen today from 0 to 0.2
PO4 - 0.02
NO3 - 11
Alk - 7.6
Mag - 1278
Cal 425

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its likely heterotrophic bacteria that will just keep rapidly producing until it starves itself out. I don't think lighting has much of an effect on bacteria growth, id just reduce organics (like reducing feeding) and wait it out. The bacteria can use up a lot of the in-tank oxygen levels though, id suggest running a powerhead in the tank that breaks the water surface. Other than that it shouldn't be a threat to the livestock.

OP
OP
C

Chiz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its pretty much gone now. The water still looks slightly cloudy at night as the lights are going off but I can deal with that. I found tuning the skimmer helped a lot.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 42 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 25 20.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.5%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back