New Tank Build and Cycling

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am setting up my first saltwater tank after spending way to much money going to the local aquarium. I built my own stand, drilled a 39 gallon bowfront for rear g-holes overflow, listened to my wife yell at me at how much money I was spending and now I am waiting while my tank cycles. I purchased 40 lbs of live rock from my LFS, and some live sand, and got the tank wet a week ago. After testing my water everyday for the last week I have yet to see any sort of spikes I have read about. 3 days ago I registered .25 of ammonia and it was gone the next day. Could the tank be done cycling? I would have thought something would have registered by now, but I have read that using good LR could shorten the cycle dramatically. Any thoughts on whether it is done or should I wait another couple of weeks? I know the safe thing to do is to wait by I have guests coming over this weekend and if it is done I would love to have a fish (singular) swimming around for them! The two snails that hitchhiked on the rock are not much fun to look at. Thanks for any advice!
DSCN2938.jpg
DSCN2939.jpg

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And because I am proud of my first woodworking adventure here is the stand that I built.
DSCN2941.jpg

Darth Polymnus

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been cycling? Using cured live rock may shorten the first initial cycle, but usually a new tank goes through several cycles. You may see an algae stage and a cyano/diatom stage. If its been more than 4 weeks, and levels are good, you may consider adding a hardy fish. But with all things saltwater, don't rush.

SeahorseKeeper

Where's the mysis?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First, Welcome to R2R!!! I love the stand!! The tank is looking good!! :)

reefgeek96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's your first stand? wow cant wait to see what you end up doing after you have some more experience. good luck on the tank it all looks great

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the compliments! So I think I am through my diatom and cyano stage, lots of nasty stuff on the sand that has gone away. Now I am seeing some weird tube-like things growing off some of my rock, any have any idea what it is?
DSCN3796.jpg
DSCN3797.jpg

OP
OP
K

ksigaekdb

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the ID. Are they always benign or is there a point I should get worried? I went from having 4 or 5 a week ago to 20 or so now.

PCygni

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about that. Didn't mean to post that here, and it wouldn't let me take it down...

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 16 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 5.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 10.0%
Back