New Tank, clownfish dead in 9 days. What did I do wrong? Please help me

Kaboobie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without pictures of the fish before and after it's hard to say what killed them but I would be willing to bet money on disease or parasite cause of death. I know they were captive bred and all that but that doesn't mean they can't get a disease at the fish store they often have many if not all of their tanks tied to the same filtration.

Goaway

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And I did not match temp on the 10% water change. I was under the impression that wasn't necessary for small water changes like 10%.
If the water is too hot or too cold, it will cause a temperature swing which can be stressful. I don't know if it will effect PH.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey that tank looked huge in pics I missed that size. nice call there

ratios got me, nice scaping lol.

Smite

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish came from the LFS. And the LFS was the one to suggest 4-5 feedings a day (VERY small feedings) while they are young to ensure they get nutrients.

As far as water change goes, I'm currently using water from the LFS. I'm not sure what salt they use, but I believe its Tropic Marin, because that's the main brand they sell. I calibrate my refractometer about every 3-4 uses. And I did not match temp on the 10% water change. I was under the impression that wasn't necessary for small water changes like 10%.
So captive bred clowns from the LFS, makes me wonder if they were in a shared system with other fish (wild)? If that's the case they could have easily contracted something. It sounds like the string you saw was internal parasites. I feel like CB fish can actually be more vulnerable to disease because their immune system isn't used to fighting them off yet.

On a 10% water change it's probably not a huge deal if the two temperatures are not extremely far off from each other. That's pretty awesome they use TM as thats a quality salt. I wanted to make sure it wasn't natural filtered sea water

Last edited:

tehmadreefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everything you said sounded like brook. Not tank water. Somehow you got a disease in your system and they needed help. How long they had it, I don't know.
Abby cycled tank without beneficial bacteria stresses a fish’s immune system making them more susticple to disease/parasites, of which were most likely the culprit. However the new tank is what set in motion for the fish to die.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the stores tanks all share water even if the fish are captive bred they can catch a disease from the rest of the tanks water. Some stores do keep their captive bred fish in separate systems that aren't attached. If they fish made it 9 days in the tank it was probably cycled fine. Most wouldn't make it 2 or 3 with an uncycled tank. If you took pictures of the fish definitely show them to the store. But it sounds like you've done everything right. But definitely only feed them 1 time maybe 2 times a day even when they're small. Bc if they aren't eating everything its just adding ammonia to your tank. You could get some nassarius snails when you add fish next time and they'll eat anything the fish don't that falls to the bottom of your tank.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 129 88.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%
Back