new tank cyano?

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My first reef tank is 6 weeks old and I'm getting red growth in my sand bed. I'm assuming this is cyano from being a new tank but could someone verify for me?

I've read that the cyano will bloom and then go away for a new tank. Does this mean I should let it rip or should I be intervening early? As of now I stir up the patches of sand and gravel vac once a week, but they come back in full force by the next day.

CUC:
4 dwarf hermits
1 scarlet hermit
3 cerith snails
2 turbo snails

Current parameters:
Salinity 1.025 sg
pH : 8.15
Ammonia : 0 ppm
Nitrites : 0 ppm
Nitrates : 3 ppm
Phosphates : 0.04 ppm
Alkalinity: 9.3 dKh
Calcium: 380
Magnesium: 1200

20221101_090017.jpg

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your picture it looks brown and like diatoms, normal after a tank cycles and usually resolves on its own. A sign your tank is moving along. If the picture is misleading, Google cyno and compare. Let us know and you’ll get plenty of info on how to deal with it.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In your picture it looks brown and like diatoms, normal after a tank cycles and usually resolves on its own. A sign your tank is moving along. If the picture is misleading, Google cyno and compare. Let us know and you’ll get plenty of info on how to deal with it.
Thanks! I've tried googling image searching cyano, diatoms, and dinos in aquariums but I see a lot of variation (and potentially incorrect identification). Is there a good resource that describes the features of each one?

I know about the bubbles with dinos, but is there a good distinction between cyano and diatoms? If I let it grow a bit, it forms mucus-like sheets.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First have you had diatoms in your tank? It’s usually the first to show up. If you haven’t we are more than likely looking at diatoms. Diatoms are a brown “dusting” the surfaces. Cyano is a bright red.

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! This is the first stuff to start growing in the sandbed. Its a redish brown, certainly not bright red. When I stir it into the sand it comes back stronger (maybe by increasing access to the silica?).

Would it hurt to essentially let it rip? Maybe it'll burn out faster. How long does it usually last in a new tank? Weeks or months?

Mostly looking for encouragement during this ugly phase lol

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know! This is the first stuff to start growing in the sandbed. Its a redish brown, certainly not bright red. When I stir it into the sand it comes back stronger (maybe by increasing access to the silica?).

Would it hurt to essentially let it rip? Maybe it'll burn out faster. How long does it usually last in a new tank? Weeks or months?

Diatoms will go away on its own in a few weeks when the silicate in the sand is used up.

kevgib67

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Ya it’s a short period when it runs out of food. I have just let it run it’s course. Nothing like what is ahead of you. The rest will be more difficult and take much longer but it to will pass. We all have gone through it. It sucks looking at an ugly tank but after a year when things are stable and your tank has matured, every time you look at it you’ll be in aw and you’ll realize it was all worth it!

OP
OP
mizimmer90

mizimmer90

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 102 86.4%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back