New Tank Cycle - possible stall and this can’t be aptasia, can it???

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing cycle on 94gal tank w/ 30gal sump.
- CaribSea Fiji Pink sand
- CaribSea Dry live rock and arches
- Pumps, plumbing, etc - everything new...
- Lights off during cycle

Used Fritz Fishless Fuel followed by TurboStart 900

First Test ammonia was high, no Nitrites/Nitrates (as expected). Day and half later Ammonia began to drop as the Nitrites rose. After a few days ammonia dropped, Nitrites (10) and Nitrates (50). No sign of lowering on day 5/6 but not sure if too soon. I read if Nitrates were +25 during cycle you should do water change which I did (30%). Now I’m second guessing it.

Question-1: Should I let it run it’s course, continue with water change, add more turbostart, or ???

Question-2: I turned lights on during water change a noticed something that looks like it may be aptasia. Is that possible? Can anyone help identify this?

Thanks!

D258BA44-22E6-4F23-84A1-367BC8071992.jpeg

Alexopora

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doing cycle on 94gal tank w/ 30gal sump.
- CaribSea Fiji Pink sand
- CaribSea Dry live rock and arches
- Pumps, plumbing, etc - everything new...
- Lights off during cycle

Used Fritz Fishless Fuel followed by TurboStart 900

First Test ammonia was high, no Nitrites/Nitrates (as expected). Day and half later Ammonia began to drop as the Nitrites rose. After a few days ammonia dropped, Nitrites (10) and Nitrates (50). No sign of lowering on day 5/6 but not sure if too soon. I read if Nitrates were +25 during cycle you should do water change which I did (30%). Now I’m second guessing it.

Question-1: Should I let it run it’s course, continue with water change, add more turbostart, or ???

Question-2: I turned lights on during water change a noticed something that looks like it may be aptasia. Is that possible? Can anyone help identify this?

Thanks!

D258BA44-22E6-4F23-84A1-367BC8071992.jpeg
It’s really hard to see from this picture. Is it possible to take a new pic with your white lights/daylights on?

Last edited:

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you aren't in a rush left you nitrites go down and then test your nitrates. Most nitrate tests convert nitrate to nitrite to get a reading so if you nitrite in your system still your nitrate will be elevated falsely. I would just wait for nitrite to go away test nitrate and then do a waterchange. The waterchange you did is probably unnecessary bc there's nothing to kill in your clean system right now. But now that you have done one... just wait till the cycle is finished and do a big waterchange to get down to the number of nitrate you want. Preferably low lol. Also don't think that is aptasia but a picture in white light would help.

OP
OP
N

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys... I’m not in a rush with this. Was just curious if I had to intervene or if it was okay to run its course. I was getting concerned about having to redose ammonia or ghost feed if too much time went by.

Updated pic on the growth with white lights. Not sure why I didn’t do that originally. Lol.

Attachments

• 44C4F809-48A9-40CC-9FBB-B4B2AB91A613.jpeg
    44C4F809-48A9-40CC-9FBB-B4B2AB91A613.jpeg
    171.8 KB · Views: 130
  • 94D94957-25F8-4763-ADB7-CC9128E96E44.jpeg
    94D94957-25F8-4763-ADB7-CC9128E96E44.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 124

Jeff Jarry reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Guys... I’m not in a rush with this. Was just curious if I had to intervene or if it was okay to run its course. I was getting concerned about having to redose ammonia or ghost feed if too much time went by.

Updated pic on the growth with white lights. Not sure why I didn’t do that originally. Lol.
No it's not aptasia some type of macro I believe.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey

your whole tank cycle is done, see this post that your tank is now in :)

it’s not a rush to begin reefing any more than it’s a rush to move fwd on a green light changed from red, the literal starting point has been surpassed. I’m behind you in a jeep wanting to move lol but I don’t beep because that’s rude. I get on my phone and check rtr as you decide I’m never in any hurry. The guy behind me is honking and you may think it’s me but it never is. I’m anti horn it breaks the chain of friendliness

Last edited:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why was dry live rock mentioned? That's wet already cycled rock with marine growths- is a mix or all live rock?

Important detail: even if a mix of live and dry, the already live portion is so strong it carries a normal starting bioload as skip cycling always does, the inert portions of rock are already cycled due to adding fritz which is 48 hour bac and we're past 48 hours. This setup didn't require any bac purchased, live rock brings in what is needed.

not any stall has happened, this is done can reef. We can know your ammonia is safe by the clarity of the water, it’s so clear there doesn’t even look to be any water in the tank...ammonia issues from curing would lend full clouding and dieoff

Last edited:
OP
OP
N

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @brandon429 , I’ll check out the referenced thread.

I’m out of the hobby for 10+ years and sooooo much has changed. I’m definitely a newbie again...

The rockscape is Real Reef Rock mixed with the CaribSea LifeRock Arches. It’s advertised as “Dry Live Rock” which is where I got the term from.

The water is very clear, actually surprised how clear it is. This mornings test:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 5-10
Nitrates: 80
Both Nitrite and Nitrate tests were done using API strips as my Red Sea test kit maxes out at 1 and 50.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive never seen dry rock with foraminiferans on it though, were the rocks wet from the pet store or dry when you bought them home

if that’s dry rock and visual skip cycling has been felled, well then lol I’ll go back and edit that fact in, I won’t pull the example

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, there’s serupulid calcified worms on the rock, surely those came home wet to your tank vs dry? On the left pic we can see a mild cyano patch/brownish growth these are all associations with wet rocks pre cycled vs dry

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fascinating

can you post a link to where the wet rock came from

*I think that growth rock has likely been ocean pre cured that w show in link

IslandLifeReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The CaribSea LifeRock arrived in a box packed with peanuts. It was dry as a bone when received although it’s called Dry Live rock. The Real Reef Rock was wrapped in brown paper which was damp.

The CaribSea is what we would consider dry rock. The stuff wrapped in damp paper very well may have had live bacteria and live algae/organisms that survived.

As far as nitrate goes, your tests are useless until your nitrite gets to 0 ppm. Any nitrite will cause you to get a false high reading for nitrate. It's a matter of how the test work.

OP
OP
N

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the algae looking stuff hard, like it’s made of a calcium ?
Has some flex to it. May try to pull a piece to get a better look. Trying to add vid, let me know if you can see it.

Attachments

• IMG_6258.MOV
    89.1 MB
OP
OP
N

nfazio

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still fascinating

can you post a link to where the wet rock came from

*I think that growth rock has likely been ocean pre cured that w show in link
This is the best description of the rock that I could find. Basically says it all.

Notice the video description is dry rock. Lol.

link:

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 33.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 16.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 20 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back