New Tank Decision for my Dream Tank

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in research and budget mode for a major tank upgrade and would love some advice and thoughts.

Current tank: 125 aqueon (sp?) 72"x18"x22" typical cheap glass tank-2 overflows that take up alot of the tank's width (so much I hate about this tank)

Choices of new tanks:
Waterbox:
Reef LX 220 72x30x24 Display 231 gal Sump 69 gal ATO 18 gal 320 total water volume
Reef LX 320 86x30x24 Display 192 gal Sump 57 gal ATO 18 gal 220 total water volume
Sump size 2-5 inches on chambers

There is a 1000.00 difference in price and 50 gal difference in water volume. And 14" in length

So the question is, is the difference in water/size worth the extra 1000.00 in price. Sump would be larger on bigger but only 2-5 inches depending on which chamber. As far as the cost of rock and sand, it is not that much difference between the two. Equipment also not that much difference except lighting. The 72" can use my existing viperspectras, although I may decide to upgrade to radions (my do it right thought process but can do that after tank in and going). Powerheads would be same--I'm going to start with 2 gyre and 2 mp40's.

Here is the link to the specs. https://waterboxaquariums.com/pages/technical-specifications#reeflx

This will be my last tank and I plan to do it right and get exactly what I want.

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as big as you can would get my vote. And 2-5" per compartment in the sump can make the difference between sandwiching equipment in there or everything fitting neatly and making maintenance easier.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out glasscages.com can customize any way you want and probably cheaper.
My reasoning with waterbox is it is complete including the stand but not an AIO. No guess work. Basically plug and play for plumbing and has a control panel set up. I set up the 125 with husband's help but this will be much simpler. Will be taller than I'm used to but I'll manage lol's

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go as big as you can would get my vote. And 2-5" per compartment in the sump can make the difference between sandwiching equipment in there or everything fitting neatly and making maintenance easier.
that is sort of what I was thinking but wanted opinions. Thanks

Jon's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Go with the bigger one. On that size $1000 is nothing compared to overall total system cost. The only thing you need to fill the tank with is water and sand. You can always add rock, more lights, bigger skimmer, bigger pumps.

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This will be my last tank and I plan to do it right and get exactly what I want.
With your last sentence I would definitely get the largest one. Shop around, I'm currently in your same boat only limit I have is the new tank is replacing my current tank a 90g which is in my bedroom so I'm a little limited in space but I'm definitely going with a minimum 180g but if I go custom made I can get it probably to 225 to 275 but the price really goes up significantly, although I'm not gonna let that deter me. I'm in Socal and been going to 2 lfs"s for 35 + years so it will be alot less. Get the biggest exact tank you want since it will be your last one as that is my plan. Although I've said that with every tank I've bought.o_O

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With your last sentence I would definitely get the largest one. ..... Get the biggest exact tank you want since it will be your last one as that is my plan. Although I've said that with every tank I've bought.o_O
lol's. With my own space limits, and height (I'm only 5'), this is the longest and highest I can go comfortably unless someone else services my tank and then it's not mine lol's. I can go larger in length in the livingroom but the current tank is there and I don't want the stress and rush of moving existing life and building my scape. I want to take my time and not rush lol's.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would it be too soon to start that new build thread to journal this journey? Tank won't happen until at least November!

ZoWhat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch you depth. Not sure how long your arms are but deep tanks are PITAs bc you need a stepstool and have to practically climb inside the tank to reach the bottom. The extra 6in in depth has no advantages for coral or fish and makes for a tank maintenance migraine

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol's. With my own space limits, and height (I'm only 5'), this is the longest and highest I can go comfortably unless someone else services my tank and then it's not mine lol's. I can go larger in length in the livingroom but the current tank is there and I don't want the stress and rush of moving existing life and building my scape. I want to take my time and not rush lol's.
Ya length and depth is my limiting factor and not going higher than 24 inches for reason you mentioned. Only thing holding me back is the transfer and having minimal loss of corals as I'm not worried about the fish since they are all solid so no stress about them. Here's a pic of the coral dilemma of a transfer for me.
20210513_154816.jpg

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the chorus of "Yes, it's worth it." An extra 14" in length is huge, and it opens the door to more things that you can keep and more real estate for everything. In the long run, $1000 extra on the set-up is nothing. If you can afford either tank, may as well just get the one that is everything you want.

A year down the line, you can always add whatever you would have spent that extra $1000 on... but if you go for the smaller tank, you can't spend an extra $1000 to magically make your tank longer.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out glasscages.com can customize any way you want and probably cheaper.

I 2nd this. I know you want a PnP system but they do make stands as well. I bet they could do a complete PKG deal for you worth talking to them as see.
joe@glasscages is a great guy to talk to about tanks builds I have talked to him many times about a possible tank down the road.

keep in mind the stands are around 1M I believe that's like 40 something inches. I am 5'7" and on my RS650P I need the set stool to reach the bottom of the tank.

my suggestion is make mock up of both tanks out if cheap PVC ( think wall) or cardboard and get the feel for it. I think you will know in a day or two what "feels right".

new tanks are exciting enjoy the journey!

PS :I reached out to WB about pre order tanks for there black Friday ( blue Monday sale event ) so they would know how many to order and have it in stock. with all the supply chain issues I thought it was a great idea. but sadly they said nah, we would rather have you wait 6-8 weeks or more from the order date to get it.
Ok OK they did not say the last part but they still said no to pre order/ prepay. I guess I cant blame em price will prob. go up anyway.

I believe the tank you are looking at is even longer lead time. I suggest contacting WB so you dont get to excited.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch you depth. Not sure how long your arms are but deep tanks are PITAs bc you need a stepstool and have to practically climb inside the tank to reach the bottom. The extra 6in in depth has no advantages for coral or fish and makes for a tank maintenance migraine
I already have to use a step stool lols. New tank is only 2 inches taller so not a big jump there. A lot wider but I'll figure out how to deal with it. Some tools. My son in law has a super monster tank and uses one of those grabbers and a tall step stool.

Edit: Current tank 53 in tall. New set up 63. So a stool either way for me. To go a shorter stand means smaller equipment like skimmers. I had to really measure to be sure I could pull mine out to clean or service. Seems like for any tank this size, I can't get around that. Not and get the size I want.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya length and depth is my limiting factor and not going higher than 24 inches for reason you mentioned. Only thing holding me back is the transfer and having minimal loss of corals as I'm not worried about the fish since they are all solid so no stress about them. Here's a pic of the coral dilemma of a transfer for me.
20210513_154816.jpg
omg!! Wow, not sure how you'll manage that! At least with my tank doing so horrid with corals, I only have a few rocks with softies to move. I have some zoes I was going to glue to rockwork, but I think I'll keep them on small frag rocks to grow onto and then I can glue them to their own "zoa" garden rock. Awesome corals!!

20210321_122853.jpg

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll add to the chorus of "Yes, it's worth it." An extra 14" in length is huge, and it opens the door to more things that you can keep and more real estate for everything. In the long run, $1000 extra on the set-up is nothing. If you can afford either tank, may as well just get the one that is everything you want.

A year down the line, you can always add whatever you would have spent that extra $1000 on... but if you go for the smaller tank, you can't spend an extra $1000 to magically make your tank longer.
super good point

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 66 51.6%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 67 52.3%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 32 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.0%
Back