New tank, dosing TM All-for-Reef and testing?

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a new tank that is finished cycling without any coral yet. As a short term plan, is it probably fine to rely on water changes only for Alk/Ca/Mg needs? When would you consider enough coral density/maturity to necessitate test kits? I'd like to get a Hana Alk colorimeter.

I'll eventually buy a doser and dose TM all-for-reef, can I dose this without testing for Ca/Mg and base my measurements off of Alk? I know I need to eventually buy all three tests but can I get by with just Alk to make the initial investment a bit less expensive? Thanks for all the advice!

KoTS

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, I have a new tank that is finished cycling without any coral yet. As a short term plan, is it probably fine to rely on water changes only for Alk/Ca/Mg needs? When would you consider enough coral density/maturity to necessitate test kits? I'd like to get a Hana Alk colorimeter.

I'll eventually buy a doser and dose TM all-for-reef, can I dose this without testing for Ca/Mg and base my measurements off of Alk? I know I need to eventually buy all three tests but can I get by with just Alk to make the initial investment a bit less expensive? Thanks for all the advice!
My personal experience with all for reef is my mag and cal stay perfectly flat if my alk is on. I test those 2 once a month or less and ZERO fluctuation. Your results may vary :)

OP
OP
Quokka

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal experience with all for reef is my mag and cal stay perfectly flat if my alk is on. I test those 2 once a month or less and ZERO fluctuation. Your results may vary :)
Cool thanks! I'll aim for a conservative 8-9 alk with All-for-reef and get Ca/Mg test kits in the future

Fins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is over 60gal you might want to look at TM Carbocalcium powder. You mix it yourself with R/O. I put it in the all for reef bottles for easy measuring. More cost effective and does the same thing. And yes if my alk is inline my calcium and magnesium are usually good.

OP
OP
Quokka

Quokka

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is over 60gal you might want to look at TM Carbocalcium powder. You mix it yourself with R/O. I put it in the all for reef bottles for easy measuring. More cost effective and does the same thing. And yes if my alk is inline my calcium and magnesium are usually good.
My aquarium is only 14g so I’m not too worried about the costs of All-for-reef thankfully. If it is adequate for maintaining consistent Alk/Mg/Ca parameters in a single dosing solution, I’m sold!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 68 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 32.8%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 13.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 15.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back