New tank (filled up 2 days ago) phosphate at 0.25ppm will it go away in time?

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guys, like the title says,
I filled up my new tank 2 days ago (will be cycling for a few months)
For now that tank (AIO 50 gallon) only has marcorocks (50 pounds or so) , and Caribsea Arag alive sand in it.
I gave the rocks a 2 days bath in 1:1 vinegar/Rodi solution, scrubbed and rinsed them and they were then put in a container full of RODI water for a few days before going in.

Today since I receive my API Reef test kit, I figured I might try the different test and see the results, and I have a phosphate level of 0.25ppm which I am guessing comes from the rocks? Will it eventually die down?

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would use a different phosphate test kit. API tests are not bad except for the phosphate which simply does not read low enough or easily enough. Since your rocks are not used/old rock (I assume u bought them new), you should have any real phosphate spikes in the tank.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That phosphate kit is not useful to test anything below 0.25 since it reads either 0 or 0.25 and nothing in between.

Willu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best one would be the Hanna phosphorus ULR. Or the salifert one or red sea if you don't want to shell out that much for the hanna. But I would really reccomend the hanna ulr test kit.

OP
OP
M

maxpare79

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best one would be the Hanna phosphorus ULR. Or the salifert one or red sea if you don't want to shell out that much for the hanna. But I would really reccomend the hanna ulr test kit.
Well I already spent 3000$ on this project, what's a few more dollars

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back