New Tank - First signs of Algae

Lionsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new Elos tank has now been up and running with fish for 2 weeks now. This morning I found the first signs of hair algae on the rocks. Is this all normal? It seems to be covering most of the rocks. The rocks (started with dry Marco) have been cycled in a Brute can for the past 10 months so I was hoping to avoid this. I've only had to clean the glass once just 2 days ago prior to family coming over for Thanksgiving but the algae film on the glass was minimal. No signs of algae in the sand bed yet. I've also started the tank with RODI water with tds = 0.

I've only got small 3 fish right now and have not been feeding very heavy. No CUC yet because I was worried there was not enough food for them yet.

I'm going to do my first WC tomorrow. Is there anything else I should do right now other than start adding CUC? I really don't want to remove the rocks and start brushing them off as I'm happy with the scape and would be afraid of not being able to put it back the same way. I've also transferred my corals from the old tank so do not really want to do a blackout.

algae2.jpg

Dempsey941

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every tank goes through the uglies. Diatoms-Hair Algae-Coraline. Keep up with your water changes, blow the diatoms of the rock, get your cuc in, eventually the silica will fade.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 144 88.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back