Matthatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a 450l new fish only tanks.
The rocks are live rock and live sand.
The water was bought and put into my tank from a place that takes it direct from the ocean so all has good nutrients.

I have a refugium setup in my sump.
Day 2 I added some clown fish for cycling and added bacteria aswell. I am running it without any lights on till cycle is done.

It is now day 21 and I have been testing every day and I have had spikes or anything. Is this normal, how do I know when cycle is done then.

Skimmer is also off.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi
I have a 450l new fish only tanks.
The rocks are live rock and live sand.
The water was bought and put into my tank from a place that takes it direct from the ocean so all has good nutrients.

I have a refugium setup in my sump.
Day 2 I added some clown fish for cycling and added bacteria aswell. I am running it without any lights on till cycle is done.

It is now day 21 and I have been testing every day and I have had spikes or anything. Is this normal, how do I know when cycle is done then.

Skimmer is also off.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Small bioload, live rock and sand, and bacteria additive, you may not see an ammonia or nitrite spike. Sounds like the perfect startup. :)

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the fish are not dead then you have bacteria colony. You can test for nitrate. If you have nitrate then your cycle is good. You can begin to add more fish slowly.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! When you have enough rock and your vital water parameters (temp, salinity, alk) are within acceptable range and stable, you are instantly cycled once you add the appropriate amount of quality nitrifying bacterial product. I'm curious why you kept your lights off. Was this to prevent algae growth? In any case, you're good to go. Have fun!

OP
OP
Matthatrick

Matthatrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to the hobby! When you have enough rock and your vital water parameters (temp, salinity, alk) are within acceptable range and stable, you are instantly cycled once you add the appropriate amount of quality nitrifying bacterial product. I'm curious why you kept your lights off. Was this to prevent algae growth? In any case, you're good to go. Have fun!
Hi
Thanks.
After all the research I did before I started, most people advised to leave lights off until cycle done (except for refugium light) to prevent algae growth.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 94 87.9%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.8%
Back