New tank from 55 to 125 WHAT DO I DO

Everett625

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SO I HAVE HAD THIS 55 gallon for over year and half before I had this I had a 25 gallon. But I found a 125 gallon for an Unbelievable price so I had to get it. And wife approved but I’m torn on what to do. Do I take all the livestock and live rock out put it in quarantine buckets for a couple weeks till I acclimate the new tank or just add the 55 gallon of reef ready water and add 80 gallons of new water add some quick cycling mix and go or do I just wait move it all to buckets with the lights etc.

1ABBE0A2-BAF8-448D-891C-6C66FB59A29C.jpeg

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well....this is just me....I moved from a 135g to a 255g recently and I only used about 60 gallons of my old water and all my rock...no substrate exchange (used new) and made the move in a day and a half....ZERO issues! What I did was essentially a large water change on the existing tank in transferring that water to the new tank and finishing off with new mix. Then moved the rock work etc...and a day later all the fish. I did have 2 foam filters that were in my existing sump to move over and also added a bottle of BioSpira.....

Averhoeven

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would get all new substrate. Depending on how stable your aquascape is (mine is all super glued together) you can lay down the new sand in some water in the tank, add some bacteria in a bottle (Dr tims or whatever) and give it a day or so. Then would transfer over rocks, coral, fish, etc with some old tank water (or all of it give the volume change) and presto, instant 125. Wouldn't expect problems from that and could probably even skip the day of selling the sand with bacteria if you want, just being cautious.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 11 26.2%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 34 81.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Other

Votes: 2 4.8%
Back