New tank - GSP and clove not open - Help

HypnoVoodoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I swapped my evo to a waterbox cube 10, straight swap except changed to fresh sand bed. This was about a week ago. My Gsp have not opened at all and neither have my clove. I tried to change flow and have added a reduced % lighting via acclimation mode of my AI HD 16 but they remain shut. Ive done a couple of small water changes to see if this would promote any change but it has not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Also noticed they have a thin hairy algae growing on them, Im thinking its Diatom. would this play a role in them not opening?

Reef257

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes .diatom could play a role try cleaing them a bit .I had mine for 3 weeks just started to show some signs .other reefer had different experiences

My post you could see the pic

cngh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how established was the old tank?

and fresh sand, like straight out of the bag? or freshly recycled sand? in either case, even if you rinsed, there might be a small cycle going on caused by some die off in the sand, or if the sand was recycled but not washed well enough.

gsp is pretty bullet proof, so i wouldn't worry too much. once the new tank settles, it'll open back up. as long as the mat looks healthy it'll be fine. but if you see the gsp mat kinda breaking up or crumbling like soggy paper, then you have a problem. can't comment on the cloves since i've not had them before.

i think you're right to have a reduced light % for a bit. do a few extra water changes in the meantime. and do an ammonia test if you have one just to double check on the cycle.

good luck!

Back