New tank Ich

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey there! Long time reader; first time poster!

So my tank is a little over 3 months old (first tank). It is 55 gallons, and everything had been going great. I started with 2 clownfish once my cycling was complete, and then added in a blenny with a blue hippo tang (in the hopes of upgrading tanks for him in the future) a couple of weeks ago. I am hoping to add corals in a few months, and was planning on getting a couple of CUC added in the next couple of weeks.

Sadly this morning I noticed little white specks covering my Tang. He is still eating well, and not showing any signs of lethargy. He has been scratching on rocks sense I got him, and did not realize that was something to look for. I thought it was a feature not a bug. After researching I am fairly confident it is Ich. He looks like he got a light salting.

There seems to be a lot of methods to treat this. The best being a proactive approach with a QT, which I will be doing moving forward, but I must be reactive now. My question is can I use the medications on my tank that are harmful to corals and invertebrates if I plan on having them in the future, but currently do not. I would like to try and rid my tank of it now, and deal with it in the QT moving forward.

Thanks for any input!

luvp1rate

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heyo, i've never had to encounter this but generally what i've seen procedure wise is to set up a QT tank for your fish, with copper running and have a fallow period on your tank which can take if I remember correctly 72 days, the longer the better.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Are you sure ich Or Velvet ? Both treat differently. Perhaps post a pic or two
Ich, you can pretty much count the salt looking grains. With velvet, fish usually smothered with grain dots.

OP
OP
D

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich, you can pretty much count the salt looking grains. With velvet, fish usually smothered with grain dots.
Based on what I read it wasn't velvet, but that was probably more me hoping it wasn't. I will post a pic in a couple of hours once I get home from work.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Based on what I read it wasn't velvet, but that was probably more me hoping it wasn't. I will post a pic in a couple of hours once I get home from work.
Either way, prepare to quarantne for best effectiveness for treatment. If you dont have it, on way home grab Mardel Parashield or Kordon Ich attack. Copper/cupramine is best but a little more harsher.

OP
OP
D

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Either way, prepare to quarantne for best effectiveness for treatment. If you dont have it, on way home grab Mardel Parashield or Kordon Ich attack. Copper/cupramine is best but a little more harsher.
I will grab some because I will need to grab the items to start my QT tank. I am assuming I will have to QT all of my fish not just the sick one so I can fallow my DT?

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will grab some because I will need to grab the items to start my QT tank. I am assuming I will have to QT all of my fish not just the sick one so I can fallow my DT?

Yes all of your fish. Fallow doesn't work if even a single fish stays in the tank.

jmcdona6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Also look into all the things that go into running a tank fallow. It's the best thing you can do but comes with a lot of hassle. Be prepared to have two of all your maintenance/testing equipment or become anal about sanitization. I just finished a fallow period myself and you have to be very vigilant not to compromise your efforts. By the end of it I felt like I was running a CDC lab not a fish tank.

Assuming you want to keep your DT active/healthy during the fallow period.

OP
OP
D

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is some pictures (sorry for quality I couldn't get him to hold still lol). It's really hard to see. He has a couple of spots on the back but none on the fins. He has almost a white film covering his entire body and has little bumps everywhere. He is constantly scratching on rock and the sand since I got home.

00016IMG_00016_BURST20200804165931.jpg 00062XTR_00062_BURST20200804165931.jpg 00064XTR_00064_BURST20200804165931.jpg

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's alot of spots it might be velvet. Is he swimming towards powerheads ( staying in high flow)

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a sign of velvet.. I'm sorry
I just lost a tank to it you need to get all the fish in a qt tank asap and start treatment I used cupramine and only was able to save 2 clown fish.

h2so4hurts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no, "I'll QT in the future" once your tank has a parasite. If it's only a 55, take everything out and nuke it. Dry your rock on the driveway for a week, bleach your tank. Put all your fish in a QT tank and start over. Going fallow on such a small tank seems way harder and less likely to succeed than just starting over.

OP
OP
D

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Grabbed a QT tank. Only thing I could get my hands on right now is ICH-X which says it treats velvet. Swapping all my fish over now, and will see what happens next. Thanks for all the help.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
+1 - velvet

01xp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no corals in your tank? Remember velvet is a DINO so it's photosynthetic keep your lights off and wait 72days before placing fish back in

OP
OP
D

Drewb628

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have no corals in your tank? Remember velvet is a DINO so it's photosynthetic keep your lights off and wait 72days before placing fish back in
Yeah hadn't put any corals or inverts into my tank yet luckily. Going to be a long 72 days for my fish in QT lol. Yeah lights are already off. Pretty sure I read somewhere to increase the temp a little as well, but haven't done that yet.

Back