New tank Ideas, Kind of budget

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted as an introduction and for some help earlier, and after reading some of the help I got, it sounds like the only way for me to make my current rimmend 20 high a decent functioning reef rather than what it is now ( a sort of functioning system suitable for fish, rock and algae ) is to pour more money into it. I don't really like that idea so I am thinking about doing a new tank. I was going to go to 60 gallons, but it just is more than I can shell out, and More maintenance than I can keep up with.

I am thinking of doing more of an upgrade, rather than an upsize, and going with a 25 gallon rimless, or 20 gallon water box cube.

I am now at a loss of how to make that glass box a functioning reef.

if I go 25 gallon I would diy the filtration that water box has.

as far as lights go I thought the fluval marine nano would be good, some say it is, and I love fluvals interface, but other say it is trash. Any ideas would be appreciated, and I am aiming to keep it in the hundred dollars range, so my options are very limited.

I will just go with the same wavemaker and heater I have now, wavemaker is basic 400 gph one, works fine, not great but could be upgraded ( and will ) later on. and heater is a titanium 300w from aquatop, I would like to go smaller so if it malfunctions it doesn't fry the tank, so if you have any suggestions for reliable small ish heaters, Again, they would be appreciated.

as for RODI, the place where I am most lost, what should I do? I want to keep it real nice and budget friendly, but still want decent water, and least amount of waste water I can.

thanks in advance for all feedback and help :)

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

the heater is a bit overkill. I have had good luck with the Jager heaters and they don’t break the bank.
to minimize waste water on the RODI you need good pressure and dual membranes which will be able to make a lot of water fast (around 150 gallons/day) which is way more than you need. once the tank is filled you will likely need 5 gallons/week which will result in a small amount of waste water even for an inefficient RODI system.
I have been using a BRS RODI system for years and have been happy with it. I would recommend whatever system you choose get it with the DI resin. BRS starts around $150 for a RODI system and goes up from there.

I am not familiar with your lights so no suggestions there.
good luck with your tank.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!

the heater is a bit overkill. I have had good luck with the Jager heaters and they don’t break the bank.
to minimize waste water on the RODI you need good pressure and dual membranes which will be able to make a lot of water fast (around 150 gallons/day) which is way more than you need. once the tank is filled you will likely need 5 gallons/week which will result in a small amount of waste water even for an inefficient RODI system.
I have been using a BRS RODI system for years and have been happy with it. I would recommend whatever system you choose get it with the DI resin. BRS starts around $150 for a RODI system and goes up from there.

I am not familiar with your lights so no suggestions there.
good luck with your tank.
Thanks for the info and welcome!

I did conclude the first thing I should get is the RODI system, as it will be useful to have good water on my current tank, so could be put to use right away :)

I think the brs sounds like the best one, and because of the water saver/efficiency upgrade I can get a base model and add on to it if I feel it is needed. And of course filters are a thing you can actually find.

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info and welcome!

I did conclude the first thing I should get is the RODI system, as it will be useful to have good water on my current tank, so could be put to use right away :)

I think the brs sounds like the best one, and because of the water saver/efficiency upgrade I can get a base model and add on to it if I feel it is needed. And of course filters are a thing you can actually find.
If your local water is pretty clean the filters will last a really long time. I average 75 gallons plus per week and change out my filters ever 12 months or so.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your local water is pretty clean the filters will last a really long time. I average 75 gallons plus per week and change out my filters ever 12 months or so.
As far as gpd goes, for a current 20 gallon and a future 60 or 90 gallon, what should I get? I was thinking 100 gpd, and from my understanding you can change out some things later on to add gallonage, is that correct?

DC Reefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the 75 gallon per day and the upgraded to dual membranes at 150 gpd (same system just two membranes). I have about 350 gallons in my systems and this handles it fine. I fill two 35 gallon ATO tanks, 65 gallon SW mixing and and a 35 gallon SW mixing tank and am never concerned with my ability to make enough water with my system.

OP
OP
AnotherReefHobbyist

AnotherReefHobbyist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started with the 75 gallon per day and the upgraded to dual membranes at 150 gpd (same system just two membranes). I have about 350 gallons in my systems and this handles it fine. I fill two 35 gallon ATO tanks, 65 gallon SW mixing and and a 35 gallon SW mixing tank and am never concerned with my ability to make enough water with my system.
Sounds like the 100 should be good enough for me seeing as the only thing I am mixing right now is a couple 5 gallon buckets. :)

Thanks for all the help!

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back