New tank low nutrient level; fish poop questions

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a newly cycled tank, 20 gal only. It exits the cycle with a nitrate of 25 ppm (Hanna HR). I have done a large WC and brought that down to 5.6 ppm then added a pair of ocellaris clownfish (no other livestock). It's their 5th day and they seemed happpy, but here comes the question.

1. Im doing 5% daily water change with DIY AWC. The nitrate level has been decreasing at the rate of WC and its sitting at 4.4 ppm now. My light is off and theres no sign of any algae. Im feeding the fish 2-3 times a day with pellets and frozen brime shrimp. I know we can raise nitrate by more feeding but my tank is lightly stocked and im not planning on adding any other fish and will not have any coral that requires feeding in the next few weeks. Im not sure if the leftover food and fish poop is just taking a long time to get decomposed into ammonia so my nitrate is decreasing or am i doing too much water change. or maybe i should throw in exessive food to maintain the nitrate? I'm worried it will drop to a point that breaks the balance between nitrate and phosphate.

2. My clowns are pooping machines. theres a dead spot below the overflow where poop just piling up. ill be adding a powerhead to minimize that but the poops doesnt seem to be decomposing at any noticeable rate. Is there any bacteria or CUC i can add to break it down/eat them up? Ive read some people said nassarius snail might be able help?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

IMG_7879.JPG

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, I have a newly cycled tank, 20 gal only. It exits the cycle with a nitrate of 25 ppm (Hanna HR). I have done a large WC and brought that down to 5.6 ppm then added a pair of ocellaris clownfish (no other livestock). It's their 5th day and they seemed happpy, but here comes the question.

1. Im doing 5% daily water change with DIY AWC. The nitrate level has been decreasing at the rate of WC and its sitting at 4.4 ppm now. My light is off and theres no sign of any algae. Im feeding the fish 2-3 times a day with pellets and frozen brime shrimp. I know we can raise nitrate by more feeding but my tank is lightly stocked and im not planning on adding any other fish and will not have any coral that requires feeding in the next few weeks. Im not sure if the leftover food and fish poop is just taking a long time to get decomposed into ammonia so my nitrate is decreasing or am i doing too much water change. or maybe i should throw in exessive food to maintain the nitrate? I'm worried it will drop to a point that breaks the balance between nitrate and phosphate.

2. My clowns are pooping machines. theres a dead spot below the overflow where poop just piling up. ill be adding a powerhead to minimize that but the poops doesnt seem to be decomposing at any noticeable rate. Is there any bacteria or CUC i can add to break it down/eat them up? Ive read some people said nassarius snail might be able help?

Any suggestion is appreciated.

IMG_7879.JPG
Most CUC members will eat detritus, Maybe some snails or a blue leg hermit

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in all seriousness, If they lack enough to eat just give them some sinking algea pellets. I know some people don't care about their cheaper CUC but they still deserve good treatment IMO
Yea i agree. Ill certainly try to keep them happy as well

OP
OP
R

rowenaad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also, Id recommend a pom pom cause they are awesome part of a CUC
im in Australia we have limited options and unfortunate pom pom is not an option. we dont even have blue leg hermit or cerith snails lolll but thanks for the suggestion

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
im in Australia we have limited options and unfortunate pom pom is not an option. we dont even have blue leg hermit or cerith snails lolll but thanks for the suggestion
well, in any case best of luck with the tank! (also, most lfs can get special stuff in stock that consumers cannot find, if you talk to yours they might be able to get you some)

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.1%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 43 58.1%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 21 28.4%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.7%
Back