New tank new approach. Opinions?

Mattdavid121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, started a 90g Redsea 7 days ago. Added the RODI water, but this time did something different. I ended up having marine velvet in my smaller tank in which I transferred the live rock to this newer redsea. Before doing so I bleached the live rock did the freshwater soak let them dry, used the API tap dechlorinater etc. used turbo start. Now I’m 7 days out and my nitrites and nitrates are high. Ammonia a little high as well. I know the new tank syndrome can occur, but checking every 24hrs nothing seems to be changing. Should I be patient?

E3BB2776-682C-484F-83D3-D9FEA408D445.jpeg

tsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Always :) Lets talk about next steps once the ammonia and nitrites hit on or near zero.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off, good on you for understanding the transmission of velvet and taking steps not to introduce it into your new tank! :)

I would suggest being patient here. Unfortunately, the growth rate of nitrifying bacterial populations is a complex ecological process- far too many hobbyists fail to grasp the complexities and make sweeping generalizations which can lead reefers astray. There are a variety of chemical and biological variables that can influence the growth rate of these populations. What works for one box of water may not work for another, so I wouldn't be dismayed if your cycle takes longer than you were expecting. I would be patient and I think you'll find your test results should signal the end of your cycle shortly!

OP
OP
Mattdavid121

Mattdavid121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish seem fine for now. The nitrites spiking always worry me for their lungs, but I figured keep checking every 24 hours, patience is key. Thanks!

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I didn't realize there were fish already in the tank ;Nailbiting!

I would add some Prime to the tank to neutralize the ammonia if the levels are still elevated (or consider performing water changes to reduce levels). At this point, you could treat it like a fish QT where if ammonia levels increase, prime and/or water changes are your best friend!

Local ammonia levels can jump around quite a bit during this stage, so if your nitrite is spiking, I would play it safe to avoid ammonia toxicity. Your nitrite levels are unlikely to get to levels that are lethal to most fish in the hobby during this cycle, although they are still investigating non-mortality endpoints related to marine nitrite toxicity.

OP
OP
Mattdavid121

Mattdavid121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every time I start a new tank I always cycle it with fish and have yet to lose a single fish. The chromies that are in there now seem to be doing well. Exactly why I was worrie

OP
OP
Mattdavid121

Mattdavid121

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the help, I’ll do a WC today. And keep testing and monitoring the fish. They’re eating, swimming fine, nothing like towards the surface etc. appreciate the help, mahalo

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ammonia toxicity is a bit over rated. Still, I prefer to either salt a bare tank with ammonia or start with some chunks of LR and a low bioload. Dry tanks with no LR to seed it take too long for my patience, but they get there.

Starting with a low bioload and some LR I dont even bother with testing. A month later the tank will be cycled.

Given its summer now a warm tank and high ammonia levels can be stressful. That's my only possible concern.

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope! Most of the bacteria you're trying to grow isn't in the water column, so aslong as you match the salinity/temperature, it shouldn't make much of a difference one way or another.

OrangeCountyReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will doing a WC effect the cycling process on this new tank?
There is no need for water changes until the tank is cycled. Once there is no nitrites or ammonia present in the tank and only elevated nitrates you do large water change to reduce the nitrates then you are ready for livestock. You also must keep an ammonia source in the tank for the bacteria to feed on during the cycling process or you may stall the cycle.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back