New tank, new colors, where am I?

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Long time reader and researcher. Finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and am ecstatic to be a part of everything this is.

I am running the fluval evo 13.5 with about 15 lbs dry rock and 1" caribsea live sand around.

Started off dosing ammonia, had used instant ocean bio-spira to get moving with cycling. Took a few days to get nitrite readings, maybe another week to start reading nitrate, and three more days to read nitrates with zero nitrites ...

Within a day or two of reading nitrates, started seeing the brownish coloration appearing on sand and live rock. Has expanded over last two days.

Have a few emerald crabs and hermits in the tank now, and also added a maroon lightning clown (beautiful) once nitrites had dropped to zero (of course I also stopped dosing ammonia as soon as these guys went in).

Wanted to check what this growth is, relative to where I might be in the initial algae phases.

Are these diatoms? Look similar to diatoms in my freshwater tanks...

Additionally, any guidance on when to start using things like purigen, charcoal and/or chemipure.

Is it too soon for those? Do I want to let my nitrates build a bit (5-10ppm) for a little while?

Thanks to anyone for your time and support. Really excited to be a part of this with all of you.

PXL_20210304_202919033.jpg

OP
OP
M

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!!!
Pretty sure they are Diatoms, and welcome to the ugly stages.
Thanks a lot. Appreciate the response. Hope I didn't offend anyone by not looking at the other 1000 threads that told me this (which I did read!!)

Have also seen your other threads and been following along your builds. Thanks for the welcome!

Yes can't wait for the ugly phase. There is beauty in all natural processes.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Long time reader and researcher. Finally took the plunge a few weeks ago and am ecstatic to be a part of everything this is.

I am running the fluval evo 13.5 with about 15 lbs dry rock and 1" caribsea live sand around.

Started off dosing ammonia, had used instant ocean bio-spira to get moving with cycling. Took a few days to get nitrite readings, maybe another week to start reading nitrate, and three more days to read nitrates with zero nitrites ...

Within a day or two of reading nitrates, started seeing the brownish coloration appearing on sand and live rock. Has expanded over last two days.

Have a few emerald crabs and hermits in the tank now, and also added a maroon lightning clown (beautiful) once nitrites had dropped to zero (of course I also stopped dosing ammonia as soon as these guys went in).

Wanted to check what this growth is, relative to where I might be in the initial algae phases.

Are these diatoms? Look similar to diatoms in my freshwater tanks...

Additionally, any guidance on when to start using things like purigen, charcoal and/or chemipure.

Is it too soon for those? Do I want to let my nitrates build a bit (5-10ppm) for a little while?

Thanks to anyone for your time and support. Really excited to be a part of this with all of you.

PXL_20210304_202919033.jpg
Did you see the brownish coloration before or after you started to stock the aquarium?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After ... By a week maybe?
Thanks for the information.

I am attempting to understand new tank ”uglies“ and nuisance organism growth. One idea that needs clarification is how do such organisms arrive in the system. While they might “drop in“ from the air, I believe that most or if not all are brought in as hitchhikers with the new live stock. When reviewing old posts on new tank “uglies”, timing of growth is not discussed. It is an idea that needs confirmation.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. While they might “drop in“ from the air, I believe that most or if not all are brought in as hitchhikers with the new live stock.
Alga is a hitchhiker. Definitely agree.

Yes can't wait for the ugly phase. There is beauty in all natural processes.
Cyano is such a nice dark red! To bad it’s a nuisance! Lol

OP
OP
M

mikedgrok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Week later and things are moving fast!

I got some snails last weekend and diatoms have been much enjoyed! Back wall still has about 50% coverage ... Snails have been working hard.

Looking at some green colorations for the last 2-3 days on the highest of the live rock in the tank. Wanted to see if anyone could help me identify what this is.

Had added ARC coralline pink starter about 1.5 weeks ago, still patiently but excitedly waiting there !

Added 2 small pieces of aquacultured live rock from the LFS last weekend as well. So, lots of things being introduced !

Ph 8.3
1.025sg / 9.5dKh
0/0 nitrates/phos

Thanks all!

PXL_20210313_220822924.jpg PXL_20210313_215616602.jpg PXL_20210313_221156455.jpg

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 43.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 23.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 24 30.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.5%
Back