New tank, new scape. Let’s go!

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Putting together my new Red Sea Reefer 250, here is revision 1 and 2 of my scape. Planning on picking up some more rock over the coming days to give myself more options.

Additionally I plan on putting the scape on egg crate as I don’t have any foundation/flat bottom pieces.

Pictures incoming in comments to keep versions separate.

My main focus with the scape is for the fish to have a safe habitat. I’d like to have plenty of caves and swim through, everyone deserves to have their own home. Tank plans are likely going to be mushroom and euphyllia dominant.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
V1….

6178753D-503B-46ED-8428-291F42695857.jpeg

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
3 looks like it has more hiding holes

2 and 3 are actually roughly the same minus 2 rocks being flipped at the top, but I agree. Thus far it is my favorite.

my only question is how to glue this all together while allowing it to be multiple pieces in the event I need to pull something out (albeit unlikely). Time for some creative glue work I guess….

thanks for your feedback!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 and 3 are actually roughly the same minus 2 rocks being flipped at the top, but I agree. Thus far it is my favorite.

my only question is how to glue this all together while allowing it to be multiple pieces in the event I need to pull something out (albeit unlikely). Time for some creative glue work I guess….

thanks for your feedback!
I would create two or three seperate islands......even if you end up pushing them together. That way each section can be removed (or even relocated) if you need to.

BaliReefBox

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i like 3 but imo that big flat section on the lhs maybe at the front as i think it is wasted real estate at the back... also your wine should be horizontal so the corks dont dry out

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would create two or three seperate islands......even if you end up pushing them together. That way each section can be removed (or even relocated) if you need to.

I was thinking the same, then placing some arches between them. I do like the idea of a “shelf” of rock as 1 large piece, but I will play with this idea and see what I come up with after picking up some more rock

i like 3 but imo that big flat section on the lhs maybe at the front as i think it is wasted real estate at the back... also your wine should be horizontal so the corks dont dry out

This is a good point. I will toy with the idea. Regarding the wine, the ones on the bar typically don’t last long enough for that to be a concern (or used for cooking). The good stuff is stored properly in the basement.

thelonereefer1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 3 as well. I’m a fan of not only caves like you but also when scapes have dimension to them. Varying heights and depths. I find this personally harder to achieve on smaller tanks simply well because they’re smaller lol

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like 3 as well. I’m a fan of not only caves like you but also when scapes have dimension to them. Varying heights and depths. I find this personally harder to achieve on smaller tanks simply well because they’re smaller lol

this is what’s driving me crazy with the rocks I currently have - running into issues with everything coming to a point or flat at the top. I may need to start drilling and putting in rods to get the character I’m looking for while maintaining a good habitat.

I love the look of branching scapes, but habitat is my focus

vlangel

Seahorse whisperer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use coral putty to hold the rock together. I would fasten a few pieces of rock together to get a little height and pieces that have slight appendages. Then I would play with those adhered pieces and see what you can come up with.
I did that with my rock for a reef crest look.

OP
OP
mjszos

mjszos

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually completely ditched the scapes that I started with and this is what I am working with now... Still a work in progress, have another 20lbs of Marco coming in on Wednesday as I'm missing some filler pieces, particularly near the top of the cave system on the left. Pretty pleased with the start of the lagoon I've built off to the right so I've glued/epoxied a few pieces, and my partner built a neat cave system foundation on the left.

Also found this neat little chalice looking piece of rock that I glued to a foundation piece. I anticipate a neat little zoa garden or similar in there!

As it currently stands I have roughly 10" of vertical to the top of the tank, figure with water level call it 8"... I may go just a touch higher in a few points depending on what I can come up with after breaking up this next shipment of rock.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back