New tank! New to R2R

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi my name is Mar and im brand new to R2R. Im from the Pacific Northwest, and im fairly new to reefing. I started up a fluval 13.5 in April and its doing great. Its mostly LPS and softies, aside from the jack o lantern lepto and a cyphastrea. No fish, but one fire shrimp.......but...i had the itch. So i ordered a new setup.

New setup:
Reefer 170
Radion xr30 non pro gen 4 with RMS arm
Bubble magus curve 5 skimmer
Brs carbon and gfo reactor
Brs rox.08 carbon
Brs gfo
Neptune apex
Neptune wxm
Neptune cor15 return pump
2 ecotech mp10wqd wavemakers
2 150 watt eheim jager heaters
High flow media cup with filter floss to replace filter sock
40lbs caribsea life rock
B ionic 2 part

Im going to go with live fiji pink sand 20 or 40 lbs.

Im going to try to document my build as best i can and post it here. Im open to any and all comments, suggestions, and criticism so don't be shy. As far as plans, im not set on exactly what i wanna do. im going to transfer most of my corals from my old tank to the reefer as soon as it's established. I do want to try out some sps. Birdsnest, stylos, and MAYBE acros lol like i said im not set so ill just go with the flow. Untill then ill continue to do my research so i can learn as much as i can.
A refugium isnt in the plans but anything can happen. I am running ro/di water and instant ocean reef crystals.

I will be ordering 2 brs dosers soon but im not in a rush. I want to get everything ready and safe. But they will be ready to go BEFORE i purchase any new sps frags and toss em in.

As far as fish, of course i want 2 clowns lol. Doesnt everybody? Also ive always loved yellow watchman gobys. My fiancé loves the royal gramma (if i want her continued support in this hobby ill happilly get her one) and, of course i would love a mandarin dragonette. Im not 100% if i will get one they seem so finicky. So there we go. Like i said im open to any and all comments, suggestions, and citicism.
20191015_154954.jpg
20191015_162439.jpg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi my name is Mar and im brand new to R2R. Im from the Pacific Northwest, and im fairly new to reefing. I started up a fluval 13.5 in April and its doing great. Its mostly LPS and softies, aside from the jack o lantern lepto and a cyphastrea. No fish, but one fire shrimp.......but...i had the itch. So i ordered a new setup.

New setup:
Reefer 170
Radion xr30 non pro gen 4 with RMS arm
Bubble magus curve 5 skimmer
Brs carbon and gfo reactor
Brs rox.08 carbon
Brs gfo
Neptune apex
Neptune wxm
Neptune cor15 return pump
2 ecotech mp10wqd wavemakers
2 150 watt eheim jager heaters
High flow media cup with filter floss to replace filter sock
40lbs caribsea life rock
B ionic 2 part

Im going to go with live fiji pink sand 20 or 40 lbs.

Im going to try to document my build as best i can and post it here. Im open to any and all comments, suggestions, and criticism so don't be shy. As far as plans, im not set on exactly what i wanna do. im going to transfer most of my corals from my old tank to the reefer as soon as it's established. I do want to try out some sps. Birdsnest, stylos, and MAYBE acros lol like i said im not set so ill just go with the flow. Untill then ill continue to do my research so i can learn as much as i can.
A refugium isnt in the plans but anything can happen. I am running ro/di water and instant ocean reef crystals.

I will be ordering 2 brs dosers soon but im not in a rush. I want to get everything ready and safe. But they will be ready to go BEFORE i purchase any new sps frags and toss em in.

As far as fish, of course i want 2 clowns lol. Doesnt everybody? Also ive always loved yellow watchman gobys. My fiancé loves the royal gramma (if i want her continued support in this hobby ill happilly get her one) and, of course i would love a mandarin dragonette. Im not 100% if i will get one they seem so finicky. So there we go. Like i said im open to any and all comments, suggestions, and citicism.
20191015_154954.jpg
20191015_162439.jpg
It looks like you have your work cut out for you - make sure to ask plenty of questions - and post plenty of pictures:)...... When you get yoru clowns - try (IME) to get a pair that is in a tank of their own (i.e. already paired). Welcome to the site:)

cvanchuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s going to be a great build! One thing I would mention. If you are going to get a dragonette I would get a tank raised one that will eat frozen. Also wait a while while your pots pod population grows. The Royal is an amazing fish to have as it is a cave dweller and likes lots of hiding places. Be cautious on the order you add your fish. Do lots of reading. Visit the lfs twice and read three times before you buy. Make sure to have a plan in place for your new system. May I recommend a Neptune dos for awc it’s been a Gabe changer for me. Changing 2.5 gallons a day on my reef and everything is thriving!

OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks like you have your work cut out for you - make sure to ask plenty of questions - and post plenty of pictures:)...... When you get yoru clowns - try (IME) to get a pair that is in a tank of their own (i.e. already paired). Welcome to the site:)

Thanks for the tip! I will def do that. There arent very many good LFS around here hopefully i can catch them!

OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like it’s going to be a great build! One thing I would mention. If you are going to get a dragonette I would get a tank raised one that will eat frozen. Also wait a while while your pots pod population grows. The Royal is an amazing fish to have as it is a cave dweller and likes lots of hiding places. Be cautious on the order you add your fish. Do lots of reading. Visit the lfs twice and read three times before you buy. Make sure to have a plan in place for your new system. May I recommend a Neptune dos for awc it’s been a Gabe changer for me. Changing 2.5 gallons a day on my reef and everything is thriving!

If thats what i gotta do to get a dragonette i will do it. Man i was eyeballing the neptune dos but everythings adding up pretty quick lol. Is it worth the price? Is it that much better than a regular doser? Ive watched videos and read some stuff on it but ive never got to ask their opinion it it. Thanks for the reply!

OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the warm welcome everybody! I just got the stand setup with the help of my little guy. Heres a pic of the stand, a front and side view of my fluval 13.5, and the cabinet for the fluval im hoping to use it for the reefer. It maybe too small with all the cool new stuff lol accidently posted 3 of the same photo
20191015_201358.jpg
20191015_201358.jpg
20191015_201358.jpg
20191015_201406.jpg
20191015_201411.jpg
20191015_201426.jpg
20191015_201439.jpg

Leslie Tabor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. I dont wanna be limited by anything. I shoulda went bigger lol. Thanks man!
Oh man, you will. Happens to the best of us! I planned on a 75...but got a great deal on a 120 gal...3 years in decided my tank was too crowded so I am now a year in with my 380 gal. God speed...it is an amazing lifestyle!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, you will. Happens to the best of us! I planned on a 75...but got a great deal on a 120 gal...3 years in decided my tank was to crowded so I am now a year in with my 380 gal. God speed...it is an amazing lifestyle!!
Haha Im absolutely sure ill be going bigger lol i gotta try and keep this for at least a year or 2 so i dont look dumb haha

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh man, you will. Happens to the best of us! I planned on a 75...but got a great deal on a 120 gal...3 years in decided my tank was to crowded so I am now a year in with my 380 gal. God speed...it is an amazing lifestyle!!
Same boat for me! Was getting ready to setup a 40 then decided I wanted to go bigger so went with a 75. Then found a sweet deal on a 120. Just a year into the 120 and I'm already planning on a 200+ build.
@mar.deezy enjoy the addiction that all of us have!

OP
OP
M

mar.deezy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same boat for me! Was getting ready to setup a 40 then decided I wanted to go bigger so went with a 75. Then found a sweet deal on a 120. Just a year into the 120 and I'm already planning on a 200+ build.
@mar.deezy enjoy the addiction that all of us have!
Hahaha. U just laid out my path lol i will prepare. thanks man! More pix comming soon.

jlts21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hahaha. U just laid out my path lol i will prepare. thanks man! More pix comming soon.
honestly though, I'm one of those hobbyist that enjoy the equipment and tanks just as much as the fish, corals and other livestock. So its a win-win for me (or as non-reefers see it, a problem haha)

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.1%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 34.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 39 31.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 31 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back